Well it WAS running fine!

AMDZen

3 posts in this topic

So I downed and installed 10.4.10 the tubgirl version over the weekend, everything went suprisingly smooth. I have tried since a version of Myzar 10.4.4 to get OSX on my machine and I think the hurdle was always that I have nothing but SATA hard drives. I was patient and figured this would be resolved eventually. Tried 10.4.7, 10.4.8 by JaS without success. But FINALLY, tubgirls version has succeeded, everything works except the sound (which is also weird because its supposed to be supported but says I have no sound)

So what went wrong then? I have no clue. I've gotten pretty knowledgeable and more so with the help of this forum, and I've ran into things I simply can't explain. First I installed and explored a bit, installed a few things. Firefox, Azureus, started browsin other things - installed MacFuse or some such program thats supposed to let me read and WRITE to my NTFS drives and after reboot the OS kept in a loop and wouldn't boot.

HMMMM, i figured MacFuse must install some drivers that messed things up - no big deal, try to reinstall. Well after a quick reinstall my computer freaked. It wouldn't boot, it gave a normal BEEP and everything but wouldn't even go into BIOS. WOW. Well I've been building computers for a long time now and never seen anything like this. Not very humble I know, but I consider myself an expert. I was freaking out. Any way all I had to do was disconnect the SATA drive that I had been using for OSX and it would boot again. Had to go into windows and hot swap the drive while windows was running so I could format it.

Well I didn't give up, figured something might have been leftover from the previous install even though I removed the partition and started a new one. This time I decided not to install anything, just booted in - cruised the net a little and then booted into windows. Try to boot back into OS X a few hours later and I get a loop similar to what I got above. WTF? I dunno. I didn't do a single thing from when it booted the first time except fake all my registry information that I couldn't seem to bypass and then say no to registering or getting a .mac ID and what not. Everything was fine, my res was exactly what it should be - but during the loops i can tell the res is similar to what the install used with the big mouse curser. I could see the blue screen only for a second. I tried safemode and it worked, but couldn't get to the desktop and didn't know what I could try to get there.

I was thinking about trying again. I downed and burned the uphuck 1.4a 10.4.9 and was going to give it a try, but like the JaS .4.8 version, it wouldn't get passed partitioning and mounting my SATA drive.

Tubgirls release was cool because I would delete the partition (FAT32) and then just create the HFS+ journaling partition and it would mount and be done. JaS and uphuck try to format the drives it looks like (if the tubgirl one did it was very quick) and seems to freeze at some point. I figure I could boot tubgirls to partition my drive and then boot uphuck to see if it installs and works better.

I just dont understand what happened. Seems as long as I never reboot, OS X will sit there forever and run fine - but after a reboot it simply doesn't work. Could it be downloading updates without my permission? It did ask me to install updates once, but I just hit cancel and said no. It might have done it any way I suppose and thats what messed it up - I can't think of anything else. Is there a way to shut them off entirely or block them or something?

Any way, I was posting this more as a story to share with you my experience. Kind of pisses me off since I thought all I had to do was get my sound card working (AC97 from NF4 board) but seems I couldn't even get that far. IF you guys can help, thats cool too.

i highly doubt that osx would start downloading anything without you telling it to. have you tried updating the kernel after installation? maybe it's a problem with the sata drive? or maybe you could try installing the jas version after your installation boots? i dunno if you can even do that, but maybe you can...