Native NTFS

thunder.scripts

8 posts in this topic

the idea is to minimise use of MS probs thats why other OS'es are improving more rapidly compared to MS... one reason you dont see MS supporting other filesystems on windows, i've had problem formatting fat32 on a bigger than 40gb partition but i dont face on osx or nix platform... seems windows dropping support on their own creation...

figure it out yourself...

thunder.scripts,

please do not listen to this anit-microsoft fan boy. the idea is not to complete say eff off microsoft. the idea is to have fun and try something new. every OS and OS manufacturer is great in their own way.

to answer your question. no, not as of my knowledge. it would be nice. what i recommend, is just having osx read off of your ntfs partition (say if you want osx to read your music off of your windows media folder, that is what i do), and then make a fat32 share partition (where you can have thunderbird share your emails, and transfer files).

or ...

you could just reinstall windows on a fat32 partition (i don't recommend because of fragmentation, and less security and features).

Whatever you decide to do in your situation, good luck....

and Keep on macKIN'

Cody

Are there any projects or someone working on native read-write NTFS? Just wondering, since MacFuse is soooo slow and I would love to test something different.

Hi, when you say slow, what are you using these drives for? I can edit to NTFS drives in SD with FCS2 without any real problems. They definitely aren't as fast as Mac OS Journaled drives. Might depend on the system though. Have you tried going in the opposite direction, installing MacDrive7 on your pc and copying your data from HFS+ drives? Works amazingly well.

Lots of good suggestions for workaround, but as it has been mentioned, even Microsoft is abandoning FAT32 and with good reason, FAT32 blows royal goats. You'd be a nut to install XP/Vista on to a FAT32 partition.

As far as minimizing Windows use, I don't know if that's the exact overall goal of everyone on here. It certainly is mine and I think I've been successful at it. I haven't really booted my machine into XP in probably 2 weeks now and don't see a need to.

I would love to be able to totally eliminate Windows from my life, but I highly doubt that would ever be possible. Even now, I need Windows for 2 things, 1 - To Print photos because the Mac version of my Epson driver SUX total BUTT, but for that I can just use VMWare. 2 - To run Premiere Pro, (until I can get the Mac version working...)

Anyway, I have also experience poor write performance with NTFS-3G, I'm curious as to why it is as such. I remember someone posting an explanation I forget why.

MacDrive doesn't work on my XP machine, it totally locks up the system to the point I have to disconnect the HFS+ drive and then uninstall in Safe Mode.

As it stands now I use two 2.5 inch USB drives, a 100 and a 120 GB. The 100 = 80/20 NTFS/FAT32 for Windows use the 120 = 90/30 HFS+/FAT32

It's annoying. I would like to just be able to read/write NTFS partitions natively and at full speed. The good thing is NTFS-3G reads great and I actually HAVE to use it on my NTFS data drives because the native driver won't see certain files. Weird.

I can edit to NTFS drives in SD with FCS2 without any real problems.

Sorry, SD? FCS2? I have no idea what you're talking about :D

Thanks to all of you who replied for your suggestions.

The solution I've been thinking to use is transform the partition to HFS+ and use MacDrive, which works perfectly in my Windows installation. The problem is I don't have enough room in the other HD to backup everything before formatting.

FAT32 is not an option because of the 4gb filesize limit :)

I haven't used Windows for almost 7 months now, but I was a bit hesitant on going HFS+, but then again, I think it may be the only solution.

Thanks!!

Sorry, SD? FCS2? I have no idea what you're talking about ;)
Sorry about that. SD = standard definition (like DV and Mpeg2 for standard DVD production) as opposed to HD = high definition. FCS2 = Final Cut Studio 2. That's why I asked what you meant by slow. For me, while writing to NTFS drives isn't optimal, it certainly is passable. Although most of the time I write to HFS+ drives and copy what I need into windows with MacDrive7.
MacDrive doesn't work on my XP machine, it totally locks up the system to the point I have to disconnect the HFS+ drive and then uninstall in Safe Mode.
Could you tell me something about the specs of your system? I read your post elsewhere about not being able to get CS3 to work properly also. Are you using AMD or Intel? Have you tried MacDrive7? I had troubles with MacDrive6 on my PC systems and quit using it altogether, even after 7 had been out for quite awhile. When I finally broke down and tried the latest version, I was impressed that all the instability problems I had in the past disappeared.

Sorry about that. SD = standard definition (like DV and Mpeg2 for standard DVD production) as opposed to HD = high definition. FCS2 = Final Cut Studio 2. That's why I asked what you meant by slow. For me, while writing to NTFS drives isn't optimal, it certainly is passable. Although most of the time I write to HFS+ drives and copy what I need into windows with MacDrive7.Could you tell me something about the specs of your system? I read your post elsewhere about not being able to get CS3 to work properly also. Are you using AMD or Intel? Have you tried MacDrive7? I had troubles with MacDrive6 on my PC systems and quit using it altogether, even after 7 had been out for quite awhile. When I finally broke down and tried the latest version, I was impressed that all the instability problems I had in the past disappeared.

How you guys ever find the solution for this problem?

I been around and search many places on how to make native NTFS on my box. Still don't have any luck.

please help if there is a way to natively mount my external usb 2.0 drive in Tiger / make it be able to read and write.

It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance...