Install problems on quad core

SandyG3

4 posts in this topic

Ok; a little background, had jas 10.4.8 with 10.4.10 patched lan/audio working great with intel 915pbl + p4 cpu system. Picked up today an intel dg33fb with a quad core q6600 cpu. Swapped out mainboard+cpu in place of older one. Of course the load bombs out due to kext differences to the new board. When I try booting to same hdd load as old system it shows apple logo, spinning icon at bottom; then a circle with a X through it on the apple logo. Easy I thought; I'll just boot to boot cd and install again. Upon doing so it starts loading and then stops at this step,

"still waiting on root device"

ide hdd is on master; dvd drive is on slave (same ide bus)

same setup as older board/cpu combo, but new one has problems.

Any ideas? I've got a sata drive hooked up to which I am trying to install too, but I can not get the dvd to boot.

Much thanks for the many months of great information I have gotten from everyone here.

Thank You in Advance.

Little more information; same thing happens if I remove ide hdd completely and set dvd drive to master and just has sata hdd connected.

i had a problem a bit different, but i had to unplug the HD and put it in a PC to delete partition, then format (FAT) and relaunch installation of MACOS, during install > HD utilities > format > MAC system (something like that)

and installation worked fine..

• 2 months later...

My specs are:

Mobo = intel DG33FB (ON board graphic and sound)

Processor Intel® Core2 Duo CPU E6550 @ 2.33GHz, 2331 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)

HDD WD 200GB Sata (native mode as IDE)

File System = Running xp64 and vista64 as ntfs.

As i am new to mac, can with this specs i install patched leo 10.5...?

Thanks.

EDIT: When switching IDE to AHCI mode, it is not working and i can boot. Any solution for that.?

You said you are using SATA, the SATA functionality may not be working for that board. You could try an IDE HDD< test out some SATA kexts that might work, ghost the drive to the sata drive and then you might be good to go.

Who knows though.