ALC880 audio works, until after a couple of reboots

milanese

6 posts in this topic

I had ALC880 audio working for my Shuttle SB81P. The installation was quite a hassle, I disabled audio in BIOS, installed AzaliaAudio.pkg, rebooted into safe mode and then rebooted into normal mode again (but first enabled audio in BIOS), audio was then working for over a week.

Yesterday the audio "crashed". The computer was up for around 4 days but iTunes wouldn't play anymore (the little volume slider was still there, but when trying to operate it it crashed). After a reboot the audio was gone. I fiddle'd again and got it back with some reboots into safe mode and disabling/enabling the sound in BIOS.

I don't know what my exact sequence of steps is and haven't been able to reproduce it so now I'm stuck with no audio again :(

Anyone familiar with this behaviour and know a fix?

I'm running JaS 10.4.8 + pascalw's 10.4.10 update. ALC880 on Shuttle SB81P.

Yep, the funny part is that the audio just stopped working without doing anything. No updates, no software installs, nothing...

Darwin 8.10.1 Darwin Kernel Version 8.10.1: Wed May 23 16:33:00 PDT 2007; Sochi2014:VoteForUs/RELEASE_I386 i386 i386

well the alc drivers definitely work with the 8.8.1 kernel. i don't know if there is any assurance that they work with the 8.10.1 kernel. i'm running osx 10.4.9 with the 8.8.1 kernel and everything works fine. i know it's a hassle, but i'd suggest reinstalling and just using the 8.8.1 kernel and see if it works, or if there is a way to downgrade then try that.

• 1 month later...

I had the ALC880 audio problem . it didn't work very well. The output show Lineout that means speaker had sound,but earphone it didn't work.I downloaded fourm's soulation to try it,but it didn't work. anyone can help me.

my pc:

Asus A6Qa

CPU:PIV 740

Audio: Realtek ALC880(no Earphone)

Video: ATI Mobility X700 128MRam (No EQ)

OSX :Jas 10.4.8