Memory readings are messed up in System Profiler

SDRacer48

6 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,

I have recently bought 2GB of PC3200 SDRAM DDR for my PC. It reads on ABOUT THIS MAC as 2GB. It also reads as 2GB on my ACTIVITY MONITOR.

But under the SYSTEM PROFILER > HARDWARE > MEMORY it reads 16MB and a bus speed of 0MHZ.

That can't be right can it. And is it affecting my system performance?

Here is a screen capture...

Memory.png

If you have any information or tips or any thing that could help me or ease my mind. Please respond.

Keep on macKIN'

Cody Griffin

I think that you are opening the system profiler under rosetta. If so, disable rosetta and try again. Anyway, don't worry about performance. OS X has difficulty reading hardware information due to EFI issues. OS X will use all your hardware properly (even if it's reported incorrectly).

Rosetta runs on a per-app basis.

Right-click the profiler in the finder, show info. See if there is a checkbox for rosetta there. Uncheck it, and then open the profiler. It should now run in pure x86 mode.

This is only available for true universal binaries, if there's no checkbox, it might be, the app is ppc only, or x86 only.

(To see an example you could check iCal, it can run in rosetta, and should have a checkbox if you show info so you would have an idea where to look.)