Acer Aspire 5100 Experience UpHuck 10.4.9 v1.3

3 posts in this topic

Hope this is the right place for this.

I have an Acer Aspire 5100, and here is my brief experience with OS x86 on this setup.

Basic Hardware:

AMD Turion 64x2 - No Problems

ATI Radeon 200m Express - 1024x780 only

1gig RAM 2 x 512 - 128 for graphics - Ok

100g Hard Drive - 70g for Vista / 20g MacOSx86

Realtek LAN - No Show Not Working

Aetheros AR5005g wireless - Working perfect

I am using the uphuck_10.4.9_universal_dvd_v1.3 image, dont ask me where I got it.

Most things work, but it took several tries. Most problems during install where related

to graphics. Below are the options I chose during install that work.

First, Vista was already installed on my laptop. (I am the only person in the world, I

think, who has been using a PC since the C64, that loves Vista.) I simply used the

G-Parted cd to resize my partition and setup an empty 2nd primary fat32 partiton for

OSx. I then booted the UpHuck DVD with everything except my mouse, disconnected.

Once I reached the step to select where I would install OSx, I ran the DiskUtility from

the menu and "Erased" the fat32 partition as Mac HFS Journaled.

Once complete, I made the following selections for the installation.

AMD by TubGrl

Under Kernels > AMD SSE3

Under Patches> AppleACPIPlatform.kext 10.4.8

Under Patches> Verbose --- Not required

Under Drivers > Under VGA > Under Callisto > Callisto b003

Under Drivers > Select the drivers for the ATI ATI, USB, Azalia Audio and the IO80211Family.kext 10.4.5

Under Software > Just choose what you want, the more you choose, the longer it takes

to install.

* Sorry I dont remember these word for word. I will do a vmware install to capture some

screenshots in a day or two. They are located here: http://www.careysturner.com/careysturner/osx86/osx86.htm

I have tried the Callisto b008 patch unsuccessfully, along with other realtek lan drivers.

So far, only my wireless works. The Lan chip is a 8139 I think, most patches are for the

8159 or above. I tried each graphics driver thru the list, until I got to the b003.

I really hope this helps someone. Thanks to all the info here, and UpHuck and TubGrl.

I should add: After rebooting, and verifying OSX was working. I rebooted, and selected

my ntfs (Vista) partition from OSX's boot options. Vista did not reboot immediatly and I

had to use the Vista Disk to repair my Vista installation. I then used "DiskPart" to reset OSx

as the active partion. I now dual boot with no problems and no hacks were neccesary.

Ill have to try this; I also have a 5100 and I have had no luck so far. But maybe this article will help. I've had all kinds of errors. The last error was grey apple screen with a "Please Power Down or Reboot your computer" when trying to get into Mac OSX.

Thanks for the info.

• 1 year later...

Hi! I have a friend who is working on getting his Acer 5100 to work and we can't find the texts for the video, usb, or wireless drivers. Could you please post the ones you have that are confirmed working? Thank you very much!