Does the Incredible P5LD2-VM boot OSX from SATA?

falconpilot

9 posts in this topic

Good Morning,

just got my hands on a SATA-2504 for my Hackintosh an I´m wonderin if OSX will boot from SATA?

I´ve a 10.4.7 running fine on IDE Device on that P5LD2VM and just tried to install on SATA, flagging the disk bootable - BUT if selected in Bootmanager notting happenz :) Screen stays black forever with blinking cursor, not even the Darwin Bootloader appears...

Just wondering if OSX is able to boot or maybe the NEW arrived ISO was buggy or if I did something wrong during Install....

Thnx for Suggests!

fp

falconpilot. You can use SATA drives without any problems using this Motherboard. What you need to do is format the HD using disk utilities on your instal disc. make sure you format it HFS+ and select MBR by clicking the options tab.

Following this you should be able to instal without any probs.

You might also want to check out this link http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...c=41685&hl=

thx for your quick answer... I´m sure format is HFS+ but I didnt check the MBR option ;) will check my disk after my son´s gettin done with his gamblin :blink: he just said "{censored}" a few times, guess he´s gettin frustrated enough :( - cu later! ---->>> LOL -censored- <<<------

shame on me but I´m not able to get the CPU to boot from SATA disk :P

I have a running 10.4.7 on that CPU and the disk is recognized, is writeable and reacts normal.

Partition is 1 Partition HFS+, MBR.

Fdisk´ed with flag, update and write.

Installed NEW 10.4.8 a few times and even tried to copy/Restore the whole IDE-Disk to SATA with DiskUtility.

I´ve NEVER seen the DARWIN boot menu, it seems my CPU wont boot from that disk :(

Maybe the disk is not bootable even with MBR and flagged bootable? How to detect?

Any Suggestion what else could be wrong in my setup? Do I have to set SATA to "Compatible Mode" or something in BIOS?

Thanks for your help! fp

Setting it to Compatible mode in the bios will work ok for you. I have tested this mode on mine and it boots without problems.

Also when the bios is loading at boot what is your SATA drive showing as. If its not connected to a master SATA port it will not boot no mater how you have it formated. From memory it should be showing as IDE3 master or IDE4 master.

Did you get chance to have a look at the bios set up as described by Diabolik. There maybe something else that is causing a problem.

Just thought of something else. When you installed did you select the SATA ICH7.pkg. If you did it might be worth re-installing without selecting this option.

okay antic no news...

compatible or enhanced doesnt make any difference :)

disk is connected as 3rd Master / switched cable with XP-disk - still boots XP on 3rd Master but not that damn 10.4.8

my guess: something went wrong with boot block or code because I never see this darwin loader at all

will do some trial and error next days...

thx for help!

PS.: which tools -other than fdisk and disk util from OSX- may I try to make that disk bootable?

Not so easy to get to darwin boot loader on this mobo. Pressing F8 on this mobo gives you the option to boot from a different physical drive. What you need to do is press F8 again immediately after selecting the drive you want to boot from. this will take you to the darwin boot loader. Type -v see what errors it gives while loading OSX.