NTFS and osx

roli

9 posts in this topic

So I installed OSX and it works.... but I want NTFS write support in OSX or ext3. Ext3 support for osx does not exist but NTFS does. I tryed MACFUSE and ntfs3g. It installed and then I tryed to mount disk (I unmounted read only partition in disk utility) and the read thing worked but then I tryed to write and finder just crashed and I coudnt start it again. So I pushed reset and finder worked again, ntfs partition was mounted read only.... So I wanted to try ntfs3g again but it can't mount that partition. I unmounted read only partition and did all things as before but I just get "unable to acces /dev/disk1s1/ - not a directory"

So can anybody help?

I just wish there was a better solution than NTFS3G, as it is it doesn't work all that great. I sometimes get errors saying I can't write to the drive sometimes I don't. (When I get the error it happens AFTER it completes the copy, i.e. the progress bar goes full then at the end says I Can't write.) And of course there's the write performance issue. Ugh.

Is there any hope on the horizon for better NTFS support in the future? :(

Have you tried mounting that partition manually using '-o rw' option?

Mac:~ user$ sudo mount -t ntfs -o rw /dev/disk1s1 /Volumes/NTFSDisk

No I didn't but I will!

Well I can't use osx before I get to work one of this filesystems: NTFS, ext3 or reiserFS. I need only one to start using osx as primary system. I hope for ext3 but I think that I will have more luck with NTFS.

oh, i ran into that 4GB problem when downloading ilife so i just had it download to my ntfs partition and installed it from there onto my OSx86 disk. then i just used winrar to archive it into two seperate 3GB files for safe keeping.

well, if you cant get an ntfs partition to work right, you could always use a fat 32 and use an archive manger, but then again i do not know what kind of files you have and how regularly you use them

best of luck

keep on macKIN'

MacDrive7 works superbly on the PC end. Perfect opportunity for some enterprising programmer to come up with a PCDrive program. I would have thought that with the intro of the Intel/Macs we'd have this by now.