How to add new resolution to display

snowx

10 posts in this topic

Make sure you have the graphics drivers enabled first and:

1. open up terminal (search in spotlight if you have to)

2. type in

sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist
and hit enter

3. type in your password and hit enter.

4. add

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1280x1024x32</string>

under <string>Yes</string>

but before </dict>

5. save the file and reboot

First you need to know what kind, make and model of gfx card you have. Then you'll need to install the proper natit/titan kext pckg for your card. If you have a compatible card (check osx86 wiki) this will enable all the possible resolutions for your card/monitor combo. It should boot you into the max resolution automatically, but if it doesn't, you simply go to system preferences>display and choose your resolution there.

BJMoose: You know, After doing a little more investigating... this didn't fix my problem. It did indeed give me 1280x1024, but there is still no QE or CI enabled. I know my card is supported because it was working perfectly with CI/QE/all resolutions/monitor detected using 10.4.8 Jas. I have used the automated Titan installer that was linked in the OsX86 wiki, but it didn't help. I tried going to the Titan webpage that they linked there, but the page seems to be down.

I have a:

XFX GeForce 7600 GT 256Mb PCI-E

Vendor ID: 0x10de

Device ID: 0x0391

Revision ID: 0x00a1

(according to system profiler)

and a Philips 109B monitor

I downloaded the Natit Uni 1.0 pkg, but when I double click it, nothing happens.

I see from your sig that you have accomplished a few things that I'm interested in learning. I've got tubgirl 10.4.10 installed. I tried chain0, but it wouldn't work (perhaps because it wasn't intended for use with 10.4.10?), so I had to use Acronis DD. It works, but I'd much rather have darwin/windows nt bootloader. Can you point me in the right direction for more info on this, also?

First you need to know what kind, make and model of gfx card you have. Then you'll need to install the proper natit/titan kext pckg for your card. If you have a compatible card (check osx86 wiki) this will enable all the possible resolutions for your card/monitor combo. It should boot you into the max resolution automatically, but if it doesn't, you simply go to system preferences>display and choose your resolution there.
Understood... my Graphics is intel 865 which might have limited support. I will put in my nvidia 6200/6600 GT and hope it will do better...Thanks for your follow up....
Vendor ID: 0x10deDevice ID: 0x0391Revision ID: 0x00a1
Dear Tinytimer,Where do I find these information for my video card? Thanks...

I see from your sig that you have accomplished a few things that I'm interested in learning. I've got tubgirl 10.4.10 installed. I tried chain0, but it wouldn't work (perhaps because it wasn't intended for use with 10.4.10?), so I had to use Acronis DD. It works, but I'd much rather have darwin/windows nt bootloader. Can you point me in the right direction for more info on this, also?

Here's a step by step on how to set up chain0. It does work with 10.4.10

1. Partition your hard drive with something like Partition Magic or Acronis Disk Manager. Create a primary partition for WinXP and a primary partition for OSX.

2. Install OSX on your second partition. This will make OSX bootable.

3. Now install WinXP on the first partition. This will make that partition active and WinXP will then be your primary operating system. (There are other directions you can use to create partitions and install, but this is the easiest way)

4. Google for a file named 'chain0'. Copy Chain0 to the root of the C:\ directory (click on properties to make 'hidden' if desired)

5. Open Boot.ini and add the following line: c:\CHAIN0="Mac OSX86" (or whatever you want to label your system)

6. In Boot.ini, remove the ';' from the timeout line and change the number to the number of seconds you want before your system will just automatically load WinXP

7. Save and close the file now. That's it, you're done. If you reboot, you will have a dual operating system.

At boot up, you will now have the option to toggle between Windows XP and Mac OSX86. Clicking on Windows XP will automatically take you to Windows. Clicking on Mac OSX may or may not take you directly to OSX...it depends on your motherboard and bios. With the Bad Axe 2 motherboard, I press the F8 button "very quickly" after pressing 'enter' to get the Darwin boot screen that then allows you to choose your OSX partition.

This avoids having to use any third party software and although it doesn't give you the graphical interface of Acronis, it's much quicker and IMHO, cleaner and less intrusive. Hope this helps.

• 2 months later...

I'm still having a problem. The resolution won't come up during displays. For some reason it keeps coming up as 400x1990 or something (I have a Widescreen Laptop).

I put in the following:

<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1440x900x32</string>

and it seems to be saved, and when I restart it comes up fine. But when I restart again, it reverts to the old settings, and stays as the old settings until I save the Terminal File again. Anyone have a clue?