The Best DVD-Burner competible to OSX86

5 posts in this topic

What is the best DVD burner that is fully supported in osx86?

Lightscribe option will be nice... so I can use it on PARALELS.

Check My sig - I was going for the ASUS DVDRW X18 DRW-1814BLT DUAL LAYER LIHGTSCRIBE SATA BLACK

but Im not sure its fully supported....

So please recomend!

BJ_MOOSE said:

Pioneer dvr111 and 112 PATA are completely compatible and supported by OSX. I had no trouble whatsoever installing from PATA optical to SATA II drives in AHCI mode.

My MoBo is P5k-Deluxe, will I have problems installing OSX86 from PATA DVD drive to SATA HDDs??

Please help ASAP! Im picking-up my HACK tomorrow!!!

Most dvd-writers work, don't worry. Choose which one you like best! Pioneer dvr111 and 112 is fine.

The issue is just whether or not your motherboard supports pata/sata...

. . 10.4.9 allows use of just about any dvd-burner. I have had serious reliability issues with both the Pioneer DVR-111 & DVR-112 [the latter model in particular has known issues with failing to read/write to CDs after a months or so's use] . . . . have had to RMA 1x DVR-111 & 2x DVR-112.

Now that Plextor no longer make their own models [they rebrand] am using a 'Optiarc' [ie NEC/Sony] 707x burner: works fine so far; quiet, rpc1 firmware available.

BTW: most/all 'Asus' DVD-burners are made by Lite-On or Pioneer. Current Lite-On burners are noisy.

Thank you very much!

About a week ago asap18 wrote me:

If you get an IDE dvd drive, the install might be a pain bc atm i dont think any dvd's have the jmicron driver, although u could add it yourself.

Can anyone confirm that?

Im totally green in the osx86 world. Jmicron is a driver that should enable DVD PATA?

Anyhow I think Im going to stick with the ASUS DVDRW X18 DRW-1814BLT DUAL LAYER LIHGTSCRIBE SATA BLACK

Do you think I would be able to use the LIGHTSCRIBE option via PRALELELS?

Thank you very much!

About a week ago asap18 wrote me:

Can anyone confirm that?

Im totally green in the osx86 world. Jmicron is a driver that should enable DVD PATA?

Anyhow I think Im going to stick with the ASUS DVDRW X18 DRW-1814BLT DUAL LAYER LIHGTSCRIBE SATA BLACK

Do you think I would be able to use the LIGHTSCRIBE option via PRALELELS?

. . to install to a P35 chipset mobo, you usually need either to buy a SATA burner, or attach a PATA burner via a USB enclosure.

. . this is because these mobos have no native PATA - this is provided by the infamous jmicron363 controller, which pretty well all OS X installation media has serious hassles with [esp Uphuck]. They have native SATA [obv], so you can install from/to any SATA device on a P35 mobo, so long as all channels are set to AHCI mode & any firmware 'RAID' malarkey is disabled.

the Asus DVD-burner you mention appears to be OK . . it autobitsets [useful] all + format media to DVDROM, I don't think this causes issues in OS X. I cannot find rpc1 firmware in either of the usual places [1 & 2] - this would be a big nono for me, mebbe not for you.