Swapping Hackintosh Legal?

alvin777

5 posts in this topic

Hi. If you swapped a hackintosh without any money involved, would that be legal? If you swapped it with the OSX86 installed without any money involved would that be legal? How about if you swapped it without anything installed but you give the OSX86 dics for him to install it himself, would that be legal?

Thanks in advance. I will need answers asap as I'm in the middle of a swap.

OSX86 discs are illegal because they are distributions of a someone elses software, ie. like the Windows Copy from your friend, and use a form of circumvention to bypass anti-piracy guards that are in place for Apple machines.

The only legal and cheap way to use OS X if you REALLY need to is to build a PC with a G-Class processor (G3-5) and somehow get it to work. You then buy a legal version of OS X and install it. The EULA states that the software can only be installed in Apple branded machines, but it doesn't state the configuration of the machine, so G4, G3, and G5 rebuilds are legal, even Intel macs if you're that good, and lucky. Apple seems to have pulled off lots of its spare parts in fear of this. Jobs comissioned someone a couple of years ago to do just that. Build an OS X capable machine out of parts that they could find and buy. Now that might not be so easy anymore.

Hi. If you swapped a hackintosh without any money involved, would that be legal? If you swapped it with the OSX86 installed without any money involved would that be legal? How about if you swapped it without anything installed but you give the OSX86 dics for him to install it himself, would that be legal?

Thanks in advance. I will need answers asap as I'm in the middle of a swap.

I'm sure you feel its in a grey area, so don't.

I would also be concerned with how good friends you will remain after the swap :censored2: