Where to buy a MacBook Pro?

9 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to buy the low-end MacBook Pro (15", 2.2 GHz C2D), and I'm wondering if anyone has any general recommendation as to where I should look to buy it.

As far as I know, my choices are to either buy it from the Apple web site or to go to an Apple store and pick one up there. I don't need it built to order -- just the stock one will be fine.

The only issue I can see with getting it from the Apple web site is the waiting... I'm not a particularly patient person, especially when it comes to new technology, so waiting over a week to receive it after I order it may induce some physical pain. :)

Does it make sense to try and get it an Apple store then? Are there any specific reasons I should go one way or the other?

I appreciate any input anyone can offer! ;)

...so waiting over a week to receive it after I order it may induce some physical pain. :P

psfhh :P a week sounds bad? I had to wait 1 month and 3 weeks to get mine. Ordered on June 8, and it was delivered on July 23.

Anywho, I think Staples business depot also sells Macbook Pro's now...same with Best Buy.

Oh, another thing -- I plan to use the student discount to get $200 off the MBP. Is that only available online, or can I get the same deal at an Apple store? Because that would be the deal breaker if I couldn't get that in-store.

Oh, another thing -- I plan to use the student discount to get $200 off the MBP. Is that only available online, or can I get the same deal at an Apple store? Because that would be the deal breaker if I couldn't get that in-store.

You can get your student discount at the Apple stores as well. Just take your acceptance letter (which has your student ID#) or your student ID card. They'll take a look at it and then just discount you $200 (for Macbook Pro). That's what I did when I got my 23" Cinema Display HD. It was fairly simple.

You can get your student discount at the Apple stores as well. Just take your acceptance letter (which has your student ID#) or your student ID card. They'll take a look at it and then just discount you $200 (for Macbook Pro). That's what I did when I got my 23" Cinema Display HD. It was fairly simple.

I was thinking it would be something like that. Do they actually check your credentials on the Apple web site? I was poking around in their education store and it didn't seem like they ever actually stopped me to see if I attended the school I said I did.

I was thinking it would be something like that. Do they actually check your credentials on the Apple web site? I was poking around in their education store and it didn't seem like they ever actually stopped me to see if I attended the school I said I did.

No, they don't do any checks of any sort other than seeing the student ID number. You could present an acceptance letter for one university...but actually be attending another one later on...it doesn't matter, they will still give you the discount becuase you still are...a student. It's a loose system...but to be honest, I don't think they can go any further to verify you without walking into your privacy. (i.e check with the University)