Can it be done?

raven hell

10 posts in this topic

"The Receptor is based on an MSI motherboard with an AMD Turion 64-bit processor clocked at 2.2GHz. Lanser said Muse chose Turion because as a mobile processor, it has low thermal output for quieter cooling. Additionally, the Receptor supports desktop motherboards, which enables PCI I/O expansion boards to be used. Finally, it has 1MB of L2 cache, "which the particular software we run really loves," Lanser said.

Muse populates the MSI board with its maximum of 2GB of RAM -- probably a good choice given the 2.4-series kernel. The device boots from the hard drive, which could be 160GB, 400GB, or 750GB, depending on the model. " source http://www.linuxdevices.com/articles/AT7270104304.html

So if some one released one of the HD backup it could be possible to use it on a mac mini at 100% since I realy don't see the nead to use the build in front panel hardware.

Thanks for the reply

Receptor is running the a custom version the Wine windows emulator on Linux. So technically, yes. Practically there's no way Muse will release their code publicly, so if someone were willing to make a self-booting low-latency Linux build with Wine and an appropriate host, you'd be in business :)

While for sure Receptor is basically a PC in a custom box with a custom display and a customized OS (what synth isn't?... though to be fair, Receptor is this more obviously than most), you're also paying for the maintenance and testing as well as the Muse and 3rd party plugin manufacturer dialog that insures compatability.

I think it was dynebolic that at one point had the ability to offline processing to other machines, which would in effect what Logic does with its own network sharing scheme. Good linux audio links here.

It is possible to buy the 160 GB Hard Disc Drive for Receptor and it has the latest version of the Receptor system software and all current officially compatible plug-ins preinstalled (Premium plug-ins are of course in demo mode - if you already own licenses these will be activated when you insert your iLok, as normal).

http://www.plugorama.com/customer/product....t=22&page=1

So why didn't anybody build his home made Mac Mini Receptor?

Thanks for all your links Limini. :)

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

I had a receptor pro komplete inside.. got it from native instruments, and im telling you, it does not worth the money.. you can get yourself a super fast pc for that money, set it up like a receptor, and you will still have some money left.