FCP 5 Vanishes on startup - No NetworkInterfaces.plist file!

GrumpyChap

6 posts in this topic

Hi,

I see a number of epople are having this problem, and there does seem to be a fix, but it doesn't seem to be available for my 'Hackintosh' set up, so I was wondering if their was any alternative advice?

Final Cut Pro 5 never manages to get past the initial splash screen. It asks me to choose or skip a video device, and very soon after, it simply vanishes.

I have read (posted by BJMoose, I believe) that it is best to set the ethernet connection to en0 by editing the NetworkInterfaces.plist file. I was pleased to find my ethernet connection set 'en2'. Aha! Maybe this is the problem!

However, I can not find the NetworkInterfaces.plist file anywhere. I have looked in System>Library>Extensions and beyond, but it seems nowhere to be found. Is there an alternative way to edit this setting to 'en0'? Or is there any other solution to my problem that anyone may have come across?

I installed the OS X using 'uphuck 10.4.9' which works fine and surprisingly fast.

I look forward to any help that may be available.

Thanks for now,

Alex

Hi,

I see a number of epople are having this problem, and there does seem to be a fix, but it doesn't seem to be available for my 'Hackintosh' set up, so I was wondering if their was any alternative advice?

Final Cut Pro 5 never manages to get past the initial splash screen. It asks me to choose or skip a video device, and very soon after, it simply vanishes.

I have read (posted by BJMoose, I believe) that it is best to set the ethernet connection to en0 by editing the NetworkInterfaces.plist file. I was pleased to find my ethernet connection set 'en2'. Aha! Maybe this is the problem!

However, I can not find the NetworkInterfaces.plist file anywhere. I have looked in System>Library>Extensions and beyond, but it seems nowhere to be found. Is there an alternative way to edit this setting to 'en0'? Or is there any other solution to my problem that anyone may have come across?

I installed the OS X using 'uphuck 10.4.9' which works fine and surprisingly fast.

I look forward to any help that may be available.

Thanks for now,

Alex

The file should reside in the folloin folder on your HD ..../Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist

i have 1 entries in it en0,en1,en2,fw1

Yey, I found it. Thanks so much. However, I'm working pretty much in the dark here as I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing! I managed to change the permissions on the file so I could edit it in the text editor (it appears to be an XML file),but I don't see much about Ethernet mentioned. Basically I have changed en1 to en0, and en2 to en1. Is this correct? I have copied and pasted the content below and wondered if someone might be able to have a look over it and let me know if I'm on the right track. If I am, then it's a little disappointing as FCP still doesn't start even when I save these changes!

Thanks for any help.

Alex

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Interfaces</key>

<array>

<dict>

<key>BSD Name</key>

<string>en0</string>

<key>IOBuiltin</key>

<false/>

<key>IOInterfaceType</key>

<integer>6</integer>

<key>IOInterfaceUnit</key>

<integer>1</integer>

<key>IOLocation</key>

<string></string>

<key>IOMACAddress</key>

<data>

ABbPoF5V

</data>

<key>IOPathMatch</key>

<string>IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/P0P3@1C,2/IOPCI2PCIBridge/pci14e4,4311@0/AirPort_Brcm43xx/IO80211Interface</string>

</dict>

<dict>

<key>BSD Name</key>

<string>en1</string>

<key>IOBuiltin</key>

<false/>

<integer>6</integer>

<integer>2</integer>

<key>IOLocation</key>

<string></string>

<key>IOMACAddress</key>

<data>

AFCNw9k0

</data>

<key>IOPathMatch</key>

<string>IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/P0P1@1E/IOPCI2PCIBridge/ethernet@5/rtl_r1000_nic_ext/IOEthernetInterface</string>

</dict>

<dict>

<key>BSD Name</key>

<string>fw0</string>

<key>IOBuiltin</key>

<false/>

<integer>144</integer>

<integer>0</integer>

<key>IOLocation</key>

<string></string>

<key>IOMACAddress</key>

<data>

ADDdgABQbNo=

</data>

<key>IOPathMatch</key>

<string>IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/P0P1@1E/IOPCI2PCIBridge/pci11c1,5811@1/AppleFWOHCI/IOFireWireController/IOFireWireLocalNode/IOFireWireIP/IOFWInterface</string>

</dict>

</array>

</dict>

</plist>

There could be an easier way to do this...takes some time, but easy. If you have either of uphuck's 1.4iR2/3 install disks, he has a check box for a version of IONetworkingFamily.kext that is specific to this FCS problem. If you boot to the install disk, let it go through it's thing until it gets to the part where you can choose what to install. YOU DO NOT WANT TO ERASE, PARTITION, OR DO ANYTHING ELSE AS FAR AS FORMATTING YOUR DISK! Check only that kext file...nothing else. Then install. It may have to reboot twice, I can't remember. This should properly repair your ethernet.

Thanks very much BJmoose for your help. I feel like I'm making progress, but it seems one little step at a time!

I downloaded a copy of 1.4i R2. However, when I try to bootup with it, it presents me with a mac looking screen telling me tht I need to restart my machine in several different languages. Of course, when I restart and reboot, I am presented with the same screen.

I tried booting up with options by pressing F8, but after a bunch of of command line style text, the machine simply hangs.

I'm trying to get hold a copy of R3, however the only place I've found the torrent is on Demonoid who require a membership to download it, and they're not allowing new members! Does anyone have this bittorrent or know where I can find a link to it?

Alternatively, was there any thoughts on whether I had edited the NetworkInterfaces.plist

correctly or not?

BJMoose, I took a visit to the uphuck website and saw you helping out in those forums as well. Do you think it is worth installing 1.4x? I have an intel machine, and the chaps behind the uphuck packages claim that is the fastest version. I wonder if it makes any real difference performance wise and whether it would also contain the required 'kext' file to solve my FCP problem.

Thanks everyones help!

Alex

• 1 month later...

Same problem here

I also installed the fix from Uphuck r3 DVD and still same issue

Pulling my hair out on this one

Would an system kernal update work? (apologies new to mac)

Machine Name: Macintosh(actually Inspiron 6400)

Machine Model: Intel

Processor Name: Genuine Intel® CPU T2130 @

Processor Speed: 1.87 GHz

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache (per processor): 1 MB

Processor Features: FPU VME DE PSE TSC MSR PAE MCE CX8 APIC SEP MTRR PGE MCA CMOV PAT CLFSH DS ACPI MMX FXSR SSE SSE2 SS HTT TM SSE3 MON EST TM2 TPR

Memory: 2 GB

Bus Speed: 533 MHz

Boot ROM Version: A17 (Dell Inc.)