Processor Limitations?

JE

6 posts in this topic

I remember awhile back reading about limitations caused by having an older processor (example being a Penitum M).. I know that processes without SSE3 requires the SSE2 variants of the software but I meant more about other issues..

Wasn't there an issue with the system clock slowing down?

(also, side question, did anybody ever figure out how to get 1280x800 on an ATI Radeon 9200? :))

The system clock speed slowing down can usually be fixed by adding fsb=*** in your com.apple.Boot.plist under kernel flags.

I think that may be something I need to do with my system.

Do I just add a <string>fsb=800</string> under <key>Kernel Flags</key>?

I also have my graphics string under <key> Kernel Flags </key> will that effect the fsb option any?

I do need this because in my system profiler my bus speed is only 200 Mhz were as my processor, motherboard, and ram support 800 Mhz.

Keep on macKIN'

I think that may be something I need to do with my system.

Do I just add a <string>fsb=800</string> under <key>Kernel Flags</key>?

I also have my graphics string under <key> Kernel Flags </key> will that effect the fsb option any?

I do need this because in my system profiler my bus speed is only 200 Mhz were as my processor, motherboard, and ram support 800 Mhz.

Yes, add it there, but make it fsb=200. Your system bus is 800mhz, but it's quad-pumped, so you have a fsb of 200mhz. Also I doubt it will affect your graphics tag. Not if you put it in correctly:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>fsb=200</string>

Actually I've never done this, it's all theory, but I'm 99.9% sure it will work! Let me know!

Keep on macKIN'

Will do

After doing some research on Wikipedia about PC3200, I figured out why my Profiler said my Bus Speed was only 200 Mhz.

That is what it supposed to be right now, but that is alright.

Once I upgrade to 2GB of Ram later this month my bus speed will double to 400 Mhz because of the dual channels and I will have 4x the amount of RAM.

In regard to the fsb=200 trick. I do not need it but I tried it anyways. It did mess up my resolution string. My resolution reverted back to 1024 * 728 instead of 1280 * 1024. So that answers that unknown.

I have one more concern about my profiler though. On the About this Mac window, it says I have 512 MB of Ram, but on the system profiler under Memory, it says:

DIMM0/BANK0:

Size: 16 MB

Type: SDRAM

Speed: 0 MHz

Now I am assuming that is slot 1 where my current 512 MB stick of RAM is installed. Does anyone have any ideas why this reads this way?

Thanks in Advance,

Keep on macKIN'