Multiple resolutions in System Preferences > Displays > Display

SDRacer48

15 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,

I just edit my com.apple.Boot.plist to enable my OSx86 PC to boot with a 1280 x 1024 x 32 resolution.

It worked and it looks great, but I was wondering if you can have the PC boot up with one resolution, but list other resolutions so that you can change in mid-operation if so desired. Could you just add another string with a different resolution? I am not sure and I am still getting use to the way Mac files and settings work.

Also, does anyone have a list of possible resolutions that are known to work. I am wondering because I usually use 1156 x 856 or whatever (something like that) in Windows XP and in Ubuntu Linux.

Thanks in Advance

Keep on macKIN'

Well I am currently in the process of getting a MSI NVidia FX 5200.

Still, is there anyway to list multiple and ....

when I get my new video card, will the multiple resolutions will just list themselves.

Keep on macKIN'

Before you invest in that card, you might want to check out the wiki for compatibility. From what I can see, for the 5200 series, you might get full resolutions when you apply the macvidia patch, but no ci or qe which are very necessary to get some software to work optimally (e.g. FCS2, CS3 etc). You might be better served by something in the 7300 or 7600 series. Hope this helps.

Before you invest in that card, you might want to check out the wiki for compatibility. From what I can see, for the 5200 series, you might get full resolutions when you apply the macvidia patch, but no ci or qe which are very necessary to get some software to work optimally (e.g. FCS2, CS3 etc). You might be better served by something in the 7300 or 7600 series. Hope this helps.

On the HCL 10.4.8 pageHCL 10.4.8, it says the FX 5200 card is fully supported for QE and CI. Where did you find this information?

Thanks in Advance,

Keep on macKIN'

Oh Ok,

Thanks for your help and concern anyways.

By the way, how much did that system you are running cost you?

Hi Everyone,

I just edit my com.apple.Boot.plist to enable my OSx86 PC to boot with a 1280 x 1024 x 32 resolution.It worked and it looks great, but I was wondering if you can have the PC boot up with one resolution, but list other resolutions so that you can change in mid-operation if so desired. Could you just add another string with a different resolution? I am not sure and I am still getting use to the way Mac files and settings work.

Also, does anyone have a list of possible resolutions that are known to work. I am wondering because I usually use 1156 x 856 or whatever (something like that) in Windows XP and in Ubuntu Linux.

Thanks in Advance

Keep on macKIN'

Now back to the regular question, mainly the part about a list of resolutions. I keep searching the forum, but this search engine is {censored}.

Thanks,

Keep on macKIN'

OS X queries the card and monitor to find a list of supported resolutions, so you don't have to muck around with any plists.

I have a FX5200 as well, and it's totally {censored} with Natit installed. Sucks as a 3D card otherwise, but QE/CI work great on my machine.

OS X queries the card and monitor to find a list of supported resolutions, so you don't have to muck around with any plists.

I have a FX5200 as well, and it's totally {censored} with Natit installed. Sucks as a 3D card otherwise, but QE/CI work great on my machine.

Well I do not need a good 3D card (look at the one I have now). I really don't play any games on my PC, that is what an XBOX 360 and Nintendo Wii are for.

I mainly play with OSes and programs, oh yeah and browse the Insanely Mac forum.

Thank you for your Opinion,

Keep on macKIN'

• 5 weeks later...

You want to edit your com.apple.Boot.plist in terminal and add the following lines:

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1280x1024x32</string>

Save and exit from terminal

Repair permissions in disk utilities

Reboot your system and that should do it.

I can't figure out how to open com.apple.Boot.plist in Terminal. If I open terminal and then go to OPEN, it won't let me pick the bootlist. If I go the file itself (or move it to desktop first) it will not allow me (when I choose opening program) to select Terminal...I can pick textedit, though. What am I doing wrong?

• 10 months later...

I understand following will give you a single resolution item in the display settings:

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1280x1024x32</string>

But like the guy originally asked I'd like to know how to add multiple resolutions to choose from in display options.

I have an Intel Chipset display card on my system, so if anyone has the kext or drivers for GMA 950 send them over please I need a bigger resolution than 1024x768

Thank you for your time.

• 1 year later...

i was wondering if someone could help me out with my display. whenever i edit the com.apple. whatever, save, and restart, i dont notice any difference. and, my display option in system preferences still says 1024x786. i have a dell inspiron e1705, which can go to 1440x900. any thoughts? thanks.

• 1 month later...