Is Deadmoo's vmware image a waste at this point?

MacOS John

4 posts in this topic

Hello, I loaded up Deadmoo's 10.4.1 image and I can't get certain software to load on it. I did the speed up tips like deleting that .kext file which helped a lot with system performance, but should I consider the version to be to outdated to be of use? Should I expect other applications not to run or have any of you had good luck with it? The app was made in 2007 (realbasic) so it probably expects things not in 10.4.1 or something. Would it make a big difference if I just started over and went with the newer release (like 10.4.8 jas with the jas 10.4.9 update)?

Ok, thanks so much for the reply. I didn't figure 2 years was such a big deal (I'm a novice to macs) as I know XP is much older than that. I know their are service packs and everything for XP, I just wouldn't expect stuff not to run without them. I fully appreciate that macs aren't exactly intended for this type of thing and I'm honestly just happy to get what I can from it :-P. Anyway, thanks again!

Ok, thanks so much for the reply. I didn't figure 2 years was such a big deal (I'm a novice to macs) as I know XP is much older than that.

The problem is not that the version of OS X is 2 years old, you can still run most programs on a 4 year old install of panther or jauguar (10.3 and 10.2 versions of OS X). The problem is that the deadmoo 10.4.1 image was a cracked install of the original OS X for intel that came on the developer transition kits, it was incomplete in many ways. They kernel was significantly updated for 10.4.3 and 10.4.4 and then again for 10.4.8,9,10. So what you have downloaded is essentially a beta OS, that's the compatability issue. The previous poster was correct, 10.4.8 or 10.4.9 would be much better for you, and easier to get closer to 100% working, video, lan and wireless lan are much more likely to work.

Good luck and welcome to the Mac!