Software updates and apple support download

jthemovie

13 posts in this topic

Hello everybody, on my hackintosh, i'm running as you can read on my signature uphuck v1.3, of course, the first time i didn't know that using software update will crash my system, so i've tried to update iTunes using this way and you know the continuation ;) , my system crashed immediately, so after a new quick install, i've tried to download from apple's homepage the latest iTunes (7.3.2) and Quicktime (7.2.0), i've downloaded the 2 dmg files, installed them and everything has worked fine (all is up-to-date now and works fine), so my question is what is the difference between using apple download's site http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/ and integrated software update, especially why downloading software from apple's site works fine and using software update crash my system ??

Thx in advance

and please apologize my english :blink:

thanks for ur answer, indeedly there's a special difference, i dunno why apple didn't include this "special difference" on thier official web site too ;)

Anyway, i'll try to download their 10.4.10 intel update lol, i'm quite sure at 99,9999% that this time it will crash my system

doesn't matter, i'd like to try another dvd released anyway :(

well, no, software update don't works at all for anything (at least for me)(even simple modification like Tunes or quicktime for example, tried 2 times ;) , one for iTunes, another one for quicktime ), as u can read in my first post, yet i've tried to updated iTunes (obviously i had only selected iTunes) from software update, my system crashed, and as i can read the whole forum (at the first beginning , i thought i was the only one), using software update is really unadvised

Lol, i've just finished the download of 10.4.10 system upgrade, i think i'll have some fun lol

edit: gone back under my faithful debian, indeedly my system is dead, darwin won't boot at all lol (what a surprise lol :) )

Anyway, thanks for your answers ;), and sorry for the misunderstood about bibendum's post :S

System updates like 10.4.10 will not work on any hackintosh direct from Apple. They need to be modified like pascalw or koolkal. Never check the system updates or you will definitely crash your system. Most other updates should work if your system is up and running. I've not had any other update not work.

Most other updates should work if your system is up and running. I've not had any other update not work.

Well, there is the new Quicktime update that breaks Rosetta (among other things). Anyone know if Apple fixed that update?

Well, I installed iTunes and Safari 3.0.3 - it boots to a panic screen where the login window should be.

Safe Boot mode works..

The only changed applications were:

Safari

iTunes

Dashboard

....Dashboard is not even mentioned in the update.

Additiionally, when booting I get some minor errors on the volume structure but they are repaired during the boot, by diskutil.

Looking in /System/Extensions- nothing was modified. I dumped the caches. Still won't boot.

Well, there is the new Quicktime update that breaks Rosetta (among other things). Anyone know if Apple fixed that update?

I'm guessing that with all the system configs out there now, nothing will be 100%. I've installed uphuck's 1.4r3 and koolkal's 10.4.10 update my system. It took all of the software updates that Apple had to throw at it without a hitch. MS Office 2004 still works on Rosetta. All CS3 and FCS2 software still works with all of their latest updates too. I ran tests on iTunes and QT and they work just fine too. The sure thing is that system updates won't work from Apple.

well, no, software update don't works at all for anything (at least for me)(even simple modification like Tunes or quicktime for example, tried 2 times wink_anim.gif , one for iTunes, another one for quicktime ), as u can read in my first post, yet i've tried to updated iTunes (obviously i had only selected iTunes) from software update, my system crashed, and as i can read the whole forum (at the first beginning , i thought i was the only one), using software update is really unadvised

Lol, i've just finished the download of 10.4.10 system upgrade, i think i'll have some fun lol

edit: gone back under my faithful debian, indeedly my system is dead, darwin won't boot at all lol (what a surprise lol wink_anim.gif )

Anyway, thanks for your answers wink_anim.gif, and sorry for the misunderstood about bibendum's post :S

Actually sofware update works just fine. Just don't download the system updates such as 10.4.9 or 10.4.10 combo updates. You can update most of you software and install the security patches without worry just make sure you always uncheck the box for the combo updates.

It is just that easy. If people just understood this and read the forums then half the posts here at insanelymac wouldn't be here. It is just common sense.

Found the friggen problem ....

"DoubleCommand" -I installed that thing for some reason, I'm not sure. I'm using Apple keyboard/mouse on it. I think I did it to check it out for my MDD DPG4 that got kicked over to the KVM with the W-box.. and now I think I can do it with just the keyboard PrefPane anyway.

Midnight computing does not pay.

I installed that thing a few days ago, and had not rebooted since.

Only now- when Software Update required a reboot.. did I get stung.

I've installed uphuck's 1.4r3 and koolkal's 10.4.10 update my system. It took all of the software updates that Apple had to throw at it without a hitch. MS Office 2004 still works on Rosetta.

That's wild. When I was running test installs with Uphuck 1.4r2/Koolkal 10.4.10, I took the same updates and didn't have a problem. Later, when I reinstalled the OS again, I took the updates and everything that needed Rosetta - plus a few other things - was broken. There were (are) all kinds of posts in the regular Apple forums from people with the same problem. I reloaded again and skipped the QT/iT updates since I don't use either app anyway.

But.. now.. something caught my eye from an earlier comment;

Security updates?

Those are not encrypted?

That, by their very nature sure smells like system software to me.. and I seem to recall there being discussions about updates being needed to be decrypted in prior threads, DeadMoo/Maxxuss timeframes...

Hmmmm..