sata dvd burners

8 posts in this topic

Greetings:

I am ordering the rest of my parts for a new hackint0sh build and am curious about sata dvd burners. I am going with the Big Bad Axe board with a q6600, a 150GB SATA WD Raptor, and two WD 500GB sata drives in raid-1 and four gigs of corsair ram.. The question is, will a SATA dvd burner be recognized/work proplery by OSX or should I stick with an IDE one?

Best regards,

JD Smith

The 4GB problem may occur on certain processors (pre-Presler) which do not support EM64T yet and hence, boot the kernel in 32-bit mode. On my T7300, I get a neat "64-bit enabled" message on boot meaning I can run 64-bit apps as well ;-)

I have a SATA burner in my AMD system and I didin't have any problems with it at all when I installed osx86. My discs boot fine and I never had an issue with osx, windows, or linux.

And I don't know much about the new Intel chips, but try running CPU-Z or SIW, both windows apps, and it should tell you some info about your processor, look for EM64T, as Stoney was saying. Hope you get your new rig running smoothly.

I have a Kentsfield chip in my setup on the Bad Axe 2 board and it has no problem with the 4gb of ram. I tried that same chip on Gigabyte p965 q6 board and it would only show 3.5gb. I have 2 ide burners installed on my board so I can't tell you about SATA burners. Good luck.

The Bad Axe 2 is truly the perfect board for OS X. Everything works flawlessly once you get the audio driver (the only issue I had). Why get a SATA DVD burner with this box? It doesn't make sense to pay the extra cash.

Oh and all Core 2 Duo/Core 2 Quad chips have EM64T but the support is broken in certain versions of boards by other manufacturers.