Installs on Sata, still waiting for root device

Shitan

7 posts in this topic

Hi,

I have just installed OsX in a triple boot on a Raptor Sata (140), on the SATA of a ASUS A8N32 SLi (Nforce 4). At installation (using JaS 10.4.8), it installs fine. It finds the drive, does not complain. Installs everything.

I then restore GRUB, and start OsX.

It seems to be working fine. At least, it does some work (so I guess it *does* find some files on the mac os partition?). But then, I get the dreaded "still waiting for root device".

Despite looking hard on the forum, I am not sure in which direction I should be looking. I suspect having a Sata/Nforce 4 drive is causing problems (it seems to be mentioned a lot on the forum), but after, it _does_ find the partition and files, no?

There seems to be some driver for Sata/Nforce 4 (by Hamlo). But from what I can understand, it increases the speed of using the Sata drive, but it's not exactly activating it. In any case, I was wondering if a) my problem is indeed due to Sata/Nforce 4 :D if it can be fixed at all during install, using the hamlo driver (it seems it is meant to be applied post installation, but maybe i am missing something)

Thanks for any help!

-Theo

It is (I set the partition as bootable in gparted)

Actually, after "installing" the nforce 4 sata driver (not sure if i did it correctly, the thread with the driver does not explain how to install it) it booted magically last night. Now it does not anymore, again.

This is kind of mysterious....

and, terribly annoying.