Installation success, but refuse to boot

Crypto

13 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I've managed to successfully install the JaS Mac OS X 10.4.8 (Intel/AMD/SSe2/SSe3/PPS1 & PPS2) source on my computer. Upon rebooting, it loads and shows the Apple Screen with the animated ring moving at the bottom of the Apple logo. After about 10 seconds, it shows me the following message (in multi-language):

You need to restart your computer. Hold down the Power button for several seconds or press the Restart button.

My hardware configurations as follows:

Mainboard: MSI 865PE Neo2-PLS

Processor: Intel 2.4 Ghz

Memory: 2x512MB (DDR)

HDD: 1x200GB Seagate (7200) SATA HDD

Graphics: nVidia GeForce 4 MX (128 MB)

Any idea what's wrong? I've choose to install the JaS patch (Intel) during the installation process.

Oracle67: I've tried reinstalling without the nVidia packages but it's still shows me the "restart your computer error".

boinkytwo:

I tried to follow your guide but I got some errors. When I attempt to type /sbin/mount -uw / I got the following error:

disk1s3: device is write locked.

launchd: mkdir("/var/launchd"): No such file or directory

Also, I can't seem to find the /System/Library/Extensions/ directory. Instead, what I see was /System/Library/Extensions.mkext which is not a directory.

Any idea?

PS: BTW, I saw the following message right after BSD root: disk1s3, major14, minor 5

"launchd: Bug: launchd.c:1990:17: ioctl(s6, SIOCAIFADDR_IN6, &ifra6) != -1"

/sbin/mount -uw / command give you authority to read and write.

and that gives you the chance to remove the kext

and make sure you booted in single user mode, meaning you type -s when darwin boot loader appears

you could also try -v -s -x

do you have 2 hdd installed in your machine? i think you have 2 hdd installed, you installed osx in the 2nd hdd on the third parition.

maybe you want to try to install you osx intallation in the primary master, disconnecting first your 2nd hdd.

***Make sure you carefully read my guide.

***osx can not write to a ntfs partition, thats in general.

Yes. I do have 3 HDD in total on my system (1 Primary IDE, 1 Primary Slave IDE and 1 SATA).

However, I've disabled both the Primary IDE controllers in BIOS before I install OS X on the SATA drive. I've verified that the system can't detect the other 2 HDD during POST. Does this help or do I have to physically unplug the Primary IDE HDD?

So in order to get to single user mode, do you mean that I do not have to load from CD? If there's no CD, during bootup after POST, it shows:

Darwin/OSX86 (something like that) and a moving cursor below it...I don't see any countdown timer etc.

its same banana, if you used uphuck install dvd, youll see a countdown timer.if you used jas, you wont see it, therefore you have to press any key and then type the -v also consider installing osx in you primary master, to test osx if it will run under your machine's specs.if it work, then you may intall it in your sata drive, and intall the necessary sata patches.its same banana, if you used uphuck install dvd, youll see a countdown timer.if you used jas 10.4.8, you wont see it, therefore you have to press any key and then type the -v also consider installing osx in you primary master, to test osx if it will run under your machine's specs.if it work, then you may install it in your sata drive, and install the necessary sata patches.

Alright. I got it working after removing the NVidia files.

It was my bad...I didn't realise that in order to boot into single user mode, I need to hit the keyboard without entering the disc. This explains why I couldn't get to /System/Library/Extensions/

Now that I've removed the nVidia files, I can only view at 1024x768. Is there anyway I can set my resolution higher (there's only 1024x768 available at Display setting) or install a nVidia driver that's compatible for my system?

With your geforce mx series video card, you wont be able to enable quartz extreme and core image, and that youre stuck at 1024x768 resolution. but that is not bad at all. youll be able to play videos with the necessary codecs installed and the right plugins for quicktime installed.

anyhow, if your monitor cant handle resolution higher than 1024x768, it is useless even if your video card can be set higher than 1024x768. you monitor will blanks out.

I see...so it means there's no Mac OS X drivers for my graphics card?

My monitor can support up to screen resolution of 1400x900. What about OS X drivers for Creative Sound Blaster Live! soundcard?

• 1 month later...

Similar errors, but will NOT install (desktop crashes before language selection)

Distros: uphuck 10.4.9 v1.4i, JaS 10.4.8 (checksum & burn verified, works on other systems)

Hardware:

Shuttle FB95v2 (a.k.a. SB95Pv2) Award 6.00PG

Pentium 4 540J, Intel 925XE, nVidia geforce 6600/PCIe, Broadcom Netxtreme (BCM5751)

Realtek ALC880 (sound), Intel ICH6R (FW82801FR), VIA VT6307 (firewire)

HDD: Seagate sATA (IDE channel 1 master)

DVD: Samsung sATA (IDE channel 2 master)

PS/2 mouse, PS/2 keyboard

Errors:

BSD root disk1s3, major 14, minor 5

[no delay here]

launchd: Bug: launchd.c:1990:17:ioctl (s6,SIOCAIFADDR_IN6,&ifra6) ! = -1

[blue desktop loads, mouse works, color wheel appears, then desktop crashes]

launchd: /bin/sh on /etc/rc terminated abnormally, going to single user mode