Annoyance really...

Mr. Bishop

11 posts in this topic

Been trying to install OSX in a dual boot with Vista. Here is the problem though... it does nothing upon loading the DVD. The installation freezes immediately after loading the kernel to begin the install process. I've been trying to figure this out now for a few days, and can only surmise that I have soemthing not properly set somewhere... but not sure where to look.

Current Hardware:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+

Asus M2V Socket AM2 Motherboard

Seagate 500GB Serial ATA HD 7200/16MB/SATA-3G

GeForce 7600 GS 512MB PCIe w/DVI/HDTV/TV-OUT

4GB DDR2 PC4200

20X DVDRW SATA

I'm truly unsure as to where the problem lies, and I am really interested in figuring this out.

Also... here is another interesting thing that I have noticed. I'm not sure if it means anything yet... but when I burn the ISO file to a DVD, the DVD does not read as having over 4GB of information on it. It reads as having 478KB of information on it... Normally, I would think this is not normal, but I am not sure about it...

Okay, I burned it on the slowest speed before I even got this response... but the problem isn't so much of the amount that can be seen by Windows, it's that when you look at the underside of the DVD, there isn't anything remotely close to 4GB of information burned onto it. I have a strip that is used that is about a quarter of an inch wide. I'll still reboot and run really quick to see if it had an effect, but it's still annoyingly small compared to the information that *should* be on there and used.

The installer I am using is 1.3, which is 4.3GB of information. I can't use the 1.4 at the moment because I cannot find the universal or AMD, only Intel. Since I am running an AMD processor... I've been looking for that version. However, I've been trying to use what I have available. I have JaS 10.4.8 and I have Uphuck 10.4.9 1.3 -- both burn the exact same amount of data onto a DVD.

Here is the most annoying part -- I can install onto VMWare from the DVD, or so it seems. I am able to get past the initial part noted above, to start installing. However, doing it outside of VMWare is not possible at the moment.

OK, it sounds as if you have a corrupt image file. When you d/l a torrent, it will often create a temp file on your hard drive showing the total size of the intended download, even though only a portion of the file has been downloaded. If there is any kind of corruption...even a momentary lost connection...the file can be damaged and appear completely downloaded when it's not. Have you tried opening your image file with something like magiciso to look at its contents? I think you have to re-download the image once again. Sorry about that.

I've had the same trouble with Asus M2V. nothing i tried worked, i even tried to install to a HD using VMWare but OSX just crashed on boot. in the end i got a new motherboard (Asrock AM2NF6G-VSTA) and now OSX works :). although OSX 10.4.8 doesn't support the SATA or Network controller :)

OK, it sounds as if you have a corrupt image file. When you d/l a torrent, it will often create a temp file on your hard drive showing the total size of the intended download, even though only a portion of the file has been downloaded. If there is any kind of corruption...even a momentary lost connection...the file can be damaged and appear completely downloaded when it's not. Have you tried opening your image file with something like magiciso to look at its contents? I think you have to re-download the image once again. Sorry about that.

It's not the image downloade... it really couldn't be. If it were a bad image, then it would not install on VMWare either. I'm inclined to think that Gary might be right. It might be due to the M2V motherboard/bios. It's the only thing that is making any sense. I can install on VMWare where it emulates a motherboard and bios, but when I try to install directly to the HDD, it stops on Kernel load. Oh well... it was worth a shot.