Partitions, erasing and Acronis

rumble291

5 posts in this topic

Hi, Ive been trying to install OSX on my main PC everything seems fine.

Specs:

AMD Athlon 64 3800+ (SSE3)

1GB RAM

250GB SATA2 Maxtor Partitioned into FAT32 (32GB for OSX) and Windows (the rest of the hard drive)

I created the 32GB FAT32 in Acronis Disk Director and then came to the installation i went into Disk Utility and then tryed to erase the partition i waited a few minutes and nothing happened the HDD light wasnt blink nothing not even the DVD drive light so i tryed it again and still nothing and i tryed creating another partition in Acronis but still it doesnt work. Im using the JaS 10.4.8 DVD. Any help would be great

Thanks,

Kurt

It must be partitioned this way:

Windows: 100 Gb NTFS

MacOsX: 100 Gb Fat32

Swap: 50 Gb Fat32

Activate Acronis OS selector before instalation and make a bootable CD of Acronis utilities (just in case).

i went into Disk Utility and then tryed to erase the partition i waited a few minutes and nothing happened the HDD light wasnt blink nothing not even the DVD drive light

The 'erasing' in diskutility, with hfs+ format, actually doesn't take long and is almost unnoticeable... So maybe it was successful.

If it was successful, when you select the volume diskutility will show you below that the volume is mounted.

And also, when you get out of diskutility, you'd see an available drive to install to.

Sorry if you already checked this, but I just want to make sure to get this possibility out of the way.

For you amd system, i'd suggest the 'tubgirl' 10.4.9, or even the latest 'tubgirl' 10.4.10 trial. In any case, you have to make sure you can install osx on your sata drive, and if your mobo is based on the nforce4 chipset, the install dvd must have the medevil kext. The 'tubgirl' dvds (10.4.9, 10.4.10) are amd-oriented and address that problem.

32GB could be ok for your osx (minimal space would be ~4GB, but not recommended :) ); it all depends on your needs.

There are solutions that permit read-write access to ntfs partitions (macfuse, use search); otherwise, by default only read is permitted.

As suggested by oracle, a fat32 partition can be used to exchange data between the two, if you don't use macfuse. you can also use macdrive on windows to access osx's partition.

OSX's bootloader (the darwin bootloader) is quite sufficient for a simple dual-boot, and is very quick; it depends on your taste.

Acronis OS Selector (aoss) gives some flexibility, but at the price of instability if its installation goes wrong and/or becomes corrupted; if you use aoss, i recommend you install it on a small fat32 logical partition which you won't move nor resize.

And as recommended by oracle, do create the 'acronis bootable media': you might need to repair a corrupted aoss install in the future (or simply repossess an overwritten mbr).

Thanks for your help guys! i tryed putting the partitions like you said Oracle67 but it still doesnt erase it just freezes then after a few seconds i can click on the partitions again. The loading bar comes up but then goes away. I will try tubgirls will take ages to download also if any of you have a good torrent like of if possible a ftp link i would be very grateful if you could PM me with it.

Thanks again for your help,

Kurt

Thanks for your help guys! i tryed putting the partitions like you said Oracle67 but it still doesnt erase it just freezes then after a few seconds i can click on the partitions again. The loading bar comes up but then goes away. I will try tubgirls will take ages to download also if any of you have a good torrent like of if possible a ftp link i would be very grateful if you could PM me with it.

Thanks again for your help,

Kurt

I having same issues with Tubgirls.. even the loading bar wont come up this time.. everything just freezes and system wont respond at all, mouse frozen too.. i have picture though, but that doesnt help too much.. hard reset is the only choice.

good luck

jon