New Computer, have budget, will spend

35 posts in this topic

I'm not an expert by any means, all I know is from my own experience, and what I Googled.

As far as I know, anything but Western Digital is fine. I ended up having to put mine in an external enclosure to get OS X and Linux to "see" it. I already had Windows on it, and it boots in IDE emulation mode on the purple ports.

Anyway, as long as your Seagates are SATA, you should be cool. Hope you have either a SATA optical drive or a IDE->USB adaptor to get the install started though!! Use uphuck's latest, and remember that your IDE connector ain't gonna work. (there may be a kext you can load after the install, but for the install at least, you'll need a SATA DVD drive, or hook it up external via USB)

I'm just posting in here to chime in.

Screw the DS3. Its a crappy board. Voltage regulation problems abound (sometimes when you turn on the power, the board will power up and then turn itself back off, then power back on again in a second or two - can't be good for the board or anything connected to it), there have been numerous BIOS issues, it does NOT work out of the box on OSX without patching or doing stupid {censored} with SATA->IDE converters... the list goes on and on.

The only thing its good for is high overclocks --- and my Bad Axe 2 not only matched it but, rather, it beat the highest I got out of the Gigabyte board before I got annoyed and returned it.

The Bad Axe 2 is a much safer bet. Its an incredible board and will boot and install out of the box on 10.4.8 on up plus it has killer options and most of all, unlike Gigabyte's garbage, its STABLE!

IMO, its a better bet to cheap out on the video card for now and get a better board... I've heard of fried DS3s... I personally wouldn't want to risk my investment in good hardware on cheaply made board.

That's my 25 dollars for the evening. Carry on :(

Another Vote for the BadAxe2. I was amazed at how easy the install went (Uphuck 1.4 Rev 3) and how well almost everything worked. Also a good board for mild and stable over clocking (I am a first time over clocker and go E6420 (default 2.13Ghz) running at 3.0 Ghz). I used a 7900GT and it worked without any extra fiddling as well

Nice of these people to start giving you advice right after you bought the board, huh? :)

For what it's worth, Vectran, it seems to be okay for me now... No crash in 12 hours, at least! :) Uphuck 1.4r3 running 10.4.10. You can get audio working with the ALC888Audio.mpkg file, and a simple text edit to get the LAN working. ("sudo pico /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon.kext/Contents/Info.plist" and find IOPCIPrimaryMatch and change the string from 0x436211AB to 0x436411AB)

I had problems with the network dying after the 10.4.10 upgrade, brought back the IONetworkingFamily.kext from the 10410backup folder in the root of the startup volume, and all was well.

Also, during the uphuck install, I only installed the "SATA support" driver, nothing else.

I just read over your initial post again, and I'm really disappointed in Apple. I waited until the new iMac announcement, wishing and hoping that they were introducing a "Mac Pro Lite", basically something that could be upgraded. And I was let down, big time. (they made the new iMac thinner? Who gives a {censored}?!?)

Apple never seem to think of tech-literate people. They drive me a bit mad sometimes. My Mac Mini is incredibly disappointing though.

I think I should be able to get the DS3 going ok eventually. As I pointed out earlier its not mayhem if I do decide to upgrade to a badaxe, at least a tried a cheaper option. You and I dont seem to be the only people in this boat :P

Thanks for posting back some great responses, you are beginning to reassure me now :)

• 1 month later...

Just to finish this topic up...

It's all going great specs and components are below, reasonably easy to get going (took me about 6 hours to figure I had forgotten to set jumpers on my DVD drive :lol:)

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 (not overclocked)

Gigabyte 965P-DS3

2x 1GB Crucial Ballistix Tracer

Hitachi 320gb SATA drive

+ DVDRW Drive

+ DVDROM Drive