Changed resolution higher than supported now out of range monitor error

coolbgdog

13 posts in this topic

Okay I was playing around after I got ci/qe working then in the resolution panel I accidentally chose a resolution higher than 1024x768 and my monitor blanked and said input signal out of range. Now whenever I start osx right after I login the monitor goes out of range and doesn't show anything. Is there any way I can get the resolution back to 1024x768? I tried editing the boot.list file in the system configuration folder but that didn't help it just makes it skip the darwin boot loader.

Both of the suggestions above should work. But if you're really in a pinch and for some reason they don't work, if you have access to another monitor that displays the higher resolution you chose (a friend...at work), you could use that and then just reset your resolution there before hooking it back up to your own monitor. That would be a last resort method. Good luck.

But booting in safe mode would only have to be one time, to give you the opportunity to change your resolution in display or to use terminal to change it in the plist. Not sure you can do it in display, but it's worth a try. Did you try adding "Graphics Mode"="1024x768x60" at boot up? Did that not work?

I tried the boot option graphics mode and it doesn't work. Right after I log in the screen goes out of range and doesn't show nothing. In safe mode I can't change the display mode because its already set as the normal rez. I tried lowering the resolution and I still got the out of range problem in safe mode. I know for sure my monitor can support 800x600.

Boot to the single user mode (-s) and mount the disk (/sbin/mount -uw /) then edit your "/library/preferences/systemconfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist" as follows:

<key>Boot Graphics</key>
<string>Yes</string>
	<key>Graphics Mode</key>
	<string>1280x1024x32</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Put the recommended screen resolution in place of 1280x1024x32

Alternatively, you can boot in safe mode (-x) and edit the file with a text editor.

Boot to the single user mode (-s) and mount the disk (/sbin/mount -uw /) then edit your "/library/preferences/systemconfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist" as follows:

<key>Boot Graphics</key>
<string>Yes</string>
	<key>Graphics Mode</key>
	<string>1280x1024x32</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Put the recommended screen resolution in place of 1280x1024x32

Alternatively, you can boot in safe mode (-x) and edit the file with a text editor.

I did that already and it still didn't work. That was one of the first things I tried.

In your first post, you mentioned that all you did was change the resolution and this occurred. Are you certain that prior to changing the resolution, something else wasn't done? Did you play with any of the kext files or do anything else in terminal prior to making the change in display? If the steps laid out for you here don't work, it sounds to me as if there's something else going on besides just a simple resolution change.