Add 7300GT to 2900xt

9 posts in this topic

I understand that the 2900xt is not supported under osx, but i'd like to keep using this card under windows.

Can I add a 7300GT in the second pcie slot, and use that with osx? If not, are there any other options to getting workable graphics in osx?

Thanks

You can have both cards in your machine, but fan on 2900 card will most likely run at 100% all the time, and 7300 card has to be set to first boot card in BIOS.

You will also need to edit Natit.kext, take away the 0x00001002 string so it doesn't try starting up the 2900 card, will most likely hang/crash if you don't.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok. Installed a 7300 GT 256-MB beside the 2900xt. I had removed the 2900 and booted os x, installed the natit kext manually, and edited out the 12 line as suggested.

Reinserted the 2900xt. Now, to boot into os x with the 7300, i need to enter the bios and change which card loads first. Same thing, back to the 2900 for vista. I've disabled the 7300 in the device manager in vista.

Everything seems to work so far, all the hardware settings loaded correctly in os x on the 7300 (QE, resolution, etc.). Only funny thing, on my viewsonic (second monitor), it defaults to portrait mode, and doesn't seem to want to shift out.

• 1 month later...

how would this work if there's no natit.kext installed? is there some other way to block the second card from being loaded. i tried installing natit.kext, but os x hangs just before the login window..

I have a 7300 from a macpro that works fine without natit, and i'd like to drop in an 8800 to use under windows. as it stands now, i get the typical kernel panic if i plug in the 8800.