Is it smart to rely on the longevity of OSx86

socal swimmer

5 posts in this topic

I am considering building my first (not apple-approved) computer. However, I definitely want Mac OS X on it. So, my question is: will I be able to stay current with mac OS for at least 2 years , or is this whole project going to fail (for one reason or another) with a year?

And If you think it is the former, is it likely that different pieces of hardware will stop being compatible?

While of course no one can answer this for sure, any thoughts/opinions on thi would be greatly appreciated.

thank you for your time!

I say go with it. Even if something catastrophic does happen to the community (unlikely, but possible), it's not like older version of OSx86 won't work.

Well, I have a machine that's almost 8 years old that runs OS X, and will continue to run Leopard. I don't know if OSX86 will be around that long, but we have what is out, and PCs can run other operating systems if Apple/Intel invents a new kind of uncrackable math. Apple itself has admitted in the past that nothing in software can ever be hackproof, but don't bet the farm on it, just in case they make it difficult enough.