iMac G4 memory replacement

6 posts in this topic

Hi,

Got an iMac G4 700mhz, it has 384mb ram, so I bought 512mb PC133 SODIMM. I know this goes in the 'easy' slot, so this gets me to 512 + 128. I was going to buy another stick of the same, but I've heard the stick inside the mac (the one that is supposed to be left alone by us mortals) is PC133 DIMM. Anyone got any experience of this?

I'm going to fit the sodimm tomorrow when it arrives, and I might see the solution then, but if anyone has been here before, please help.

TIA,

The Baron

BTW. Please buy The Friends EP by Ween, they need yr money....

pc133 and pc100 will work, if u are running tiger u can upgrade to 1.5 gigs not the 1 gig as stated u should have 4 slots i have all kinds of mismatched ram in my G4 runs pretty smooth

The iMac G4 definitely only has two RAM slots. As the OP said, the lower slot is an SODIMM. The upper slot is a 168-pin SDRAM slot. Before opening up the iMac to replace the RAM in the upper slot, get some thermal grease, as the iMac has two heat pipes that extend between the upper and lower case, and without the grease it could overheat. To access it, you need a Torx 15 driver. Either have very conditioned fore-arms or use an electric driver, as each screw is 1.5" long with fine threading. Once it's open, it's pretty easy to see how to replace it. Putting the iMac together can sometimes be somewhat tricky though, as two of the screws go through the aforementioned heat pipes, and they can sometimes get misaligned. I would often use a small screw driver to stick through the hole to align the heat pipe for the screw.

For the hard drive, you will need to take out the drive assembly, since it sits above the CD ROM. I believe you need a torx 12 for that. I can't remember for sure. When you take it out, you'll probably think to yourself, "what's this white sticker covering the drive for?" That's so you can't see the drive when looking through the ventilation holes in the top of the iMac's dome. They wanted it to be all white. lol