Suddenly no internet connection!

jackt283

6 posts in this topic

So I am using my OS X and suddenly it stops connecting to anything. I think it is the modem so I unplug, reset and wait. No good. I suspect it is a problem with my OS X. I check the settings, run the network diagnostics. No good either.

I reboot into windows. What'ya know, I have an internet connection. I reboot into my other OS X, the one I only use for backup processes, and i have an internet connection there too.

I left it overnight and it still isn't working. And the only thing I think I did was install firefox 2.0.0.5.

Now I'm no OS X noob, I'm a web designer and I have been using OS X for 5 years.

The only thing I can think of is that some file has corrupted somewhere and it will need to be replaced.

Can anyone help me!!

Have you tried going into System Preferences -> Network? Sometimes you have to go into there, and it will say found new hardware or something of the like.

In network I have reset the connection with the router umpteen times, though without any change. The interesting thing is that the router is being found and it is establishing IP addresses correctly too.

Network preferences displays: your ip is bla bla bla, and you are connected to the internet.

Check the diagnostic tests, and f all the lights to the left are green then there must be a problem with your browser.

Have you tried different browsers? Try downloading Opera or using Safari.

Most of the lights end up being red. And it tells me it can't fix the problem....

And it seems to be the OS that can't connect as I have tried countless browsers and apps that use the internet but none work. I can't even ping my router.

Okay so I got it back.

i noticed that one of My Parallels network adaptors was set to the same IP as mine (not exactly the same by the first 7 digits were). Now it had been like this for some time, but no problem. Anyway I set it back using DHCP, and now I can connect again.

Strange?

Anyway, I used a sse2/sse3/intel/amd 10.4.8 Jas DVD and in Network preferences under ethernet it says the cable is unplugged, even when I can connect fine. It's always done that since I installed it.

THank god for that. I have a interview for a job in amsterdam on monday and i really need to update my website!