external IDE drive to USB HDD won't mount

6 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

i needed to mount my 160GB western digital IDE HDD on my 10.4.8 and the CD that comes with the external casing is only for 8 and 9 version of mac...and i searched online and found awebsite saying no driver needed for tiger...

well, the casing's brand....umm NONE, cant find a name or anything but i found online very similar stuff even sayin thhat the mac drivers need STUFFIT to decompress and that's exactly what i got.

so any idea? i found some weird solution but it's for 10.4.10...i really dont wanna mess up my installation, i love it.

oh just wanted to add that my system profiler hangs when i choose a component on the left and have to force quit it. so as my disc utility

thanks

just wanna add that flash usb cards mount and unmount fine, even my ipod too... my wireless usb mouse works fine too...so my usb is fine with everything but my external HDD...and additional driver needed?

i searched alot but people are having problems like no usb detection blablabla..

just wanna add that flash usb cards mount and unmount fine, even my ipod too... my wireless usb mouse works fine too...so my usb is fine with everything but my external HDD...and additional driver needed?

i searched alot but people are having problems like no usb detection blablabla..

Are the the devices that work working as USB1.1 or USB2? (Look in system profiler)

If its just USB2 not working, you need to follow the advice in those other threads.

(PCGenEHCI ones I assume you are talking about. You can always backup up anything you are going to modify so you can return to pre-change setup) )

that's the wireless mouse USB slot:

USB Bus:

Host Controller Location: Expansion Slot

Host Controller Driver: AppleUSBUHCI

PCI Device ID: 0x27c9

PCI Revision ID: 0x0002

PCI Vendor ID: 0x8086

Bus Number: 0x3d

USB Device:

Version: 3.10

Bus Power (mA): 500

Speed: Up to 1.5 Mb/sec

Product ID: 0x0530

Vendor ID: 0x0d62

and here's the other slot when i plugged my ipod:

iPod:

Capacity: 27.94 GB

Removable Media: Yes

Detachable Drive: Yes

BSD Name: disk2

Version: 0.02

Bus Power (mA): 500

Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec

Manufacturer: Apple

OS9 Drivers: No

Product ID: 0x1209

Serial Number: 000A27001592E01E

S.M.A.R.T. status: Not Supported

Vendor ID: 0x05ac (Apple Computer, Inc.)

Volumes:

YOUNGI:

Capacity: 27.87 GB

Available: 2.5 GB

Writable: Yes

File System: MS-DOS FAT32

BSD Name: disk2s2

Mount Point: /Volumes/YOUNGI

as i see, the ipod is detected with max 480Mb/s so it must be detected as USB2

any idea what to do?

Could just be bad luck and you don't have a standard case. Both the USB HD cases I have work without any additional software.

Do you have a second OS you can find out more information about your case? (brand, model, etc)

Any messages in your log when the drive is attached?