After install Dell won't boot

homers

7 posts in this topic

Hi

I have just installed OS X 10.4.8 on a Dell OptiPlex GX260. 10.4.6 works fine but when I boot with this version I get a blinking line "-" and nothing else happens. I have tried re-installing but nothing works. Can anyone help?

Thanks

It definitely sounds like you BIOS is not recognizing the hard disk to which OSx86 is installed. I would check and make sure your BIOS is set to boot from that HDD first.

Then check and make sure that the HDD is set as Primary Master, if not you may have to open up your laptop and put a jumper on the HDD and force it to be the Primary Master.

Also, you may want to download a partition manager utility (ie. QTParted or GTParted) and check and make sure that the OSx86 partition on that hard drive is set to bootable.

Maybe these ideas may help.

Hi

My BIOS is set to HDD first.

I used Partition Magic within Hirens boot CD and it says under Partition 'Error and the Type is #108. There is no other information. The top has a yellow bar saying 'Partition table error #108 found and if I set the partition to Active it says

"Currently active Partition: (No active on Drive)

Change active partition to: (BAD)

What is wrong here.

#108 Partition doesn't end at end of cylinder

The hard-disk partition table contains erroneous values. PartitionMagic expects partitions to begin and end on the correct cylinder boundaries. If they do not, the disk may be partially corrupted. In this circumstance, if PartitionMagic were to make any modifications it might cause the loss of data. Therefore, PartitionMagic refuses to recognize any of the hard disk's partitions. To resolve this problem, see the instructions in Resolving partition table errors.

This is what I found. The only thing I can think of right now is that maybe a part of your HDD is corrupted, but that is unlikely if 10.4.6 worked fine.

Personally what I would do is, reinstall 10.4.8 completely. So boot from install DVD, go to the Disk Utility program and make sure your reformat the partition for OSx86 twice, then do the normal reinstall.

If that doesn't work I would get a Windows XP Cd and act as if I am going to install Windows and format the HDD to NTFS (full not quick) and that would mark out all of the corrupted parts of your HDD. Then after that I would not let Windows install but after it is finished formating. I would try to install OSx86 over it, again formating as HFS+ journaling twice. That may fix the corrupted parts of the disk.

If that doesn't work I would try on a different hard disk, or I would download a new copy of OSx86 ( i recommend the JAS install)

Also, before you do all of this, make sure your HDD is set as PRIMARY MASTER. Some people say this is a necessity on their systems for OSx86 to boot (it isn't on mine, but maybe on yours).

Good Luck and Hopefully this helps, instead of me just blowing hot air. Keep on macKIN'

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/power...8256e91005066ac

the link to the end where it said "Instructions to Resolving Partition Table Errors"