Problem Leaving OS X Idle

SriSri

3 posts in this topic

Hey all

I installed Tiger 10.4.8 (JaS version SSE2 patched) 2 days ago in a dual boot with Windows XP Home, and I noticed something very wrong. When i leave my computer idle for a certain amount of time, it'll go to a black screen and won't allow me to come back to the desktop. If I then try to do a hard reboot that black screen will still be there until I turn off the power supply and unplug the power cable, reattach them, and then turn on the computer. This never happened when I had a dual boot with XP and Vista Ultimate. Anybody have an idea why? Is it some powersave issue? I've turned off the screensaver and this still happens.

My computer's stats are:

Intel Pentium 4 2.53 GHz "Northwood"

1 GB RAM

110 GB HDD (70 GB--->XP, 40 GB--->OS X)

Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 256 MB GPU

Onboard ethernet

Integrated audio (AC'97)

Yor computer is going to sleep and not waking up. This is different from when the monitor sleeps. I am bit confused by the whole have to unplug power supply and everything before it recovers but I guess that could happen. You should probably just disable computer sleep under the energy saver in the system preferences so it won't happen. If you feel up to it, you could do some research and try to make it compatible with OS X and sleep. My Intel computer's sleep issues were solved by using a USB keyboard instead of PS2, but my AMD setup is totally incompatible and won't sleep at all.