non-boot after successfull install (Asus P5B)

5 posts in this topic

OK.

A quick search of the forums didn't reveal anything, so I'm making a new topic.

If this has already been addressed/started elsewhere, please forgive the extra start & direct me there.

Following advice from the 10.4.8 HCL, I successfully installed from JaS.10.4.8.Intel.SSE3.Only.Install.DVD.iso on my custom system.

Hardware is as follows:

Asus P5B motherboard

Intel Core 2 Duo 6300 (1.86 GHz)

2GB DDR2-800 RAM

EVGA nVidia GeForce 7600GS PCI-E video card w/256 RAM (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130075)

160GB SATA HD

200GB SATA HD <-(osX86 installed on 40GB partition on this hd)

After "successfull" install, reboots & just sits there at a black screen w/blinking cursor.

Not really sure where to go from here. Any help appreciated!

Thanks in advance!.

Is your OSX drive set to MBR?

That was my problem, work perfectly now.

Boot into install off cd, then go to disc, partition, options, then MBR.

On my install disc 10.4.8 JaS SSE2 SSE3 I didn't have 'options' so I have to reformat drive, then click partition and then it said MBR.

Hope you get it workin.

hmm...

Thank you for the replies!

The partition is primary, though I don't really know if it's "active" or not. I set up the partitions using the Disk Utility on the OSx86 disc (JaS.10.4.8.Intel.SSE3.Only.Install.DVD). I will have to boot from the osx disc again, & check on the MBR thing. Didn't see it last time, but wasn't really looking. Will keep y'all posted on results. Thanks again!

1) Boot up your installer DVD and go to Terminal

2) Type diskutil list ; this is used to find your disks number (for the rest of this "X" = the disk number, like disk0sX)

3) Type fdisk -e /dev/rdiskX ; replace X with your disk number (ignore any MBR errors)

4) Type p to find which partition is for Mac OS X (say "Y" is the partition number)

5) Type f Y ; replace Y with your disk number

6) Type write

7) Accept the warning

8) Type reboot