OS/X86 on a web/ftp server, has anyone done it yet?

Gray_Matter

5 posts in this topic

Does anyone have any advice about which one of these servers would work well with 10.4.7 server? I want to play with Apache, Perl, MySQL, and some other Linux based stuff that has been ported to MAC before I return to college in august.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Supermicro-A-Server-AS...9QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/SUPERMICRO-SUPERSERVER...9QQcmdZViewItem

Also if I use a intel based board will the P4 based Xenons work with OS/X86. I know these are newbee questions, and yes I did a search before posting this.

Thanks fo any input anyone can give me.

There isn't even an OSx86 release of a server edition. You would either have to use a regular version or hack one yourself...

you can install the packages from the OSX 10.4.7 dvd over the top of a hackintosh. Once installed you can upgrade to 10.4.9 easily via software updater and kernel/.kext replacements. I have installed and tested 10.4.9 server on my machines.

Specific instructions for server installation are somewhere in the forums (can't remember)

Follow the instructions for updating via software updater as per a normal hackintosh.

Notgot- Have you ever run MAC server on a opteron or dual opteron board? I have what I believe is a JAS patched DVD that allows you to select either a client or server install. The disk works well with either install in a intel based machine. I have installed it in a few Dells Optiplex 270,260 and a Dimention 3000 and a 8400.

RAMM- Thanks for your advice but I have had server 10.4.7 working on a Dell opitplex 270 for several weeks now and I don't remember any mention of apple working with dell ;-)

i've only installed on intels of various flavours, no amds

Notgot- Have you ever run MAC server on a opteron or dual opteron board? I have what I believe is a JAS patched DVD that allows you to select either a client or server install. The disk works well with either install in a intel based machine. I have installed it in a few Dells Optiplex 270,260 and a Dimention 3000 and a 8400.