Unusual iChat / USB problem

sarahbau

3 posts in this topic

OK. This is one of the weirdest problems I've seen, and I don't know what is causing it. I think it is in some way related to the fact that I used to have a USB sound card, but don't any more. Anyway, my problem is that iChat will not send a message until there is some sort of activity over USB. For example, I type a message, and hit enter, and iChat just shows the little "..." bubble next to my icon. If I type a key or move the mouse, it will finish sending the message. Otherwise it will sit there indefinitely.

I think the problem started when I stopped using my Creative XMod (USB Sound card) and switched to built-in sound. The obvious first thing to check would be to uninstall the XMod drivers, but it has none. It worked just by plugging it in. Has anyone seen this problem before?

I don't know if this is pertinent or not, but I had a similar problem on windows a LONG time ago. I had a USB modem and mouse, and the modem would only transmit when there was some activity on the mouse. I remember having to jam a spoon up under one of the buttons on the mouse to download anything.

It may be a hardware thing. What I'm thinking is that maybe iChat doesn't display the message you type on screen until it gets 'confirmation' back from the AIM server. Try messing around with the behavior, and see if you can duplicate the problem in other IM clients (Such as Adium), or other internet apps in general. Just keep trying things and you'll get a better picture of what's going on... Usually, when something weird goes on like this, there's something larger behind it.