Strange PCI problem? *RESOLVED*

4 posts in this topic

I'm having a strange problem with my hackintosh install and I was hoping to gain some insight on the subject. It boils down to osx not seeing my Nic that I bought because of the issues with the onboard ethernet of my mobo. Hopefully someone out there has a little more experience with this issue.

Here's the system layout:

JaS 10.4.8 with ppf1, ppf2, semthex 8.8.1, Titan Nvidia

E6600 Core 2 Duo

Asus P5B-E motherboard

Dynex DX-E101 10/100mbit Pci (not pciE) Nic (Realtek 8139 chip)

4 gig Corsair Dominator ram (4x1g)

Leadtek 7300GT 128mb vid card

Asus sAta DVD-R(W)

Maxtor 300gb Sata drive (partitioned 60gig NTFS for XP, 60gig hfs+ for osX, rest as a shared NTFS storage drive)

Os installation went smooth. Pata is completely disable in bios since all my drives are sata and I absolutely need my front usb ports. Titan took care of getting the 7300gt fully functional. Used the intel sse3 patch during install, both cores found and functional. Boots into osx fine. Applied the audio patch and got that working. All usb ports are working. The only thing that didn't work was onboard lan (Attansic) which doesn't have any patches or drivers available at the moment.

As we all know, a computer without internet is basically worthless. So I went out and did the obvious... I grabbed the cheapest Nic I could get ahold of that had a realtek chip in it. It's a dynex dx-e101 with the 8139 chipset.

Plugged it in, made sure it was recognized and working in XP. Rebooted into osx. Nothing. I figured, "no problem, I'll get a patch and make it work". So I came back here and found the 8139 ktext for the 8.8.1 kernel and proceeded to run through the installation process in osx. First I tried the "piano piano" version of the install. Everything seemed to go fine. driver install went fine (at least I had no reason to believe something went wrong), touched the cache, rebooted, nothing. No ethernet port. So I went back through the readme and did the risky version of the install. Again, no dice. Everything was followed step-by-step. Checking through the system profiler I notice that nothing is showing up in the PCI pool. Osx doesn't seem to be finding anything plugged in via PCI.

So I am sitting here left wondering what is going on. Is the pci bus of this mobo tied to the jmicron controller? Is there something I missed about the 8139 drivers maybe? Are there extra drivers/ktexts I need to load for osx to see my pci card?

Any help is greatly appreciated and I thank you for any suggestions you may be able to provide.

You dont get anything to show up under PCI in system profiler normally on hackintoshes.

only way to find out if your network card is recogniced is to open network control panel, it shows new card detected if it works :P

good luck.

You dont get anything to show up under PCI in system profiler normally on hackintoshes.

only way to find out if your network card is recogniced is to open network control panel, it shows new card detected if it works :)

good luck.

Thanks for clarifying the blank PCI pool in system profiler. I'll give everything another once-over before deciding on whether I should start over with the new v1.3 Uphuck 10.4.9 Universal Release or try to battle it out as-is. Anyone with similar hardware have any experience with that release?

Okidoke... Problem solved.

Here's a warnign to those of you out there with PCI NIC Cards that "SUPPOSEDLY" have a Realtek 8139 chip in them......

Even if you see posted all over this forum that your PCI Nic absolutly uses the 8139 chip and you need the PCGenRTL8139.kext. They are half right. If you bought the device a while ago it prolly has a 8139 in it, but it looks like linksys, d-link, dynex and most other oems are putting the Via Rhine III chips in their new hardware revisions of the cards.

So if you think you have a 8139 and the PCGenRTL8139.kext does not work for you, boot into windows and open up your hardware device list and check out what your device ID and Vendor ID numbers are. Chances are you have a Rhine III chip in it just like mine did.

Crappy thing is, the drivers that came in the box for the Dynex had 8139 drivers (was looking through the linux.c compile file) and that's what threw me off from the beginning. Windows just made it work and cam up with the Dynex name for it, I never noticed it wasn't an 8139 till I spent 5 hours reading through all the plists I could get ahold of for different Realtek cards trying to figure out WTF was going on. Decided to change the device IDs in case for some reason my hardware was different and BAM, it WAS different.

I can verify that the newest beta ViaRhine.kext in the drivers forum absolutley works in a Rhine III card that is supposed to be a 8139.

Hope this helps out other people so they don't go ballistic like I almost did.