[Howto] ASUS A8R32-MVP Deluxe motherboard

delish

3 posts in this topic

Time to get all the info needed to get this motherboard working 100% gathered in one place.

Mobo info: Socket 939, chipsett is ATI Xpress 3200 RD580, ULi 1575 southbridge.

Instalation DVD's that work: JaS 10.4.8, Tubgirl 10.4.8AMD, Uphuck 1.2 & 1.3 (these are the ones I have tried)

Installing from IDE DVDdrive works, but is very slow.

Solution: install from VMWare, use firewire or SATA DVD drive or modify your DVD (see below)

Im not gonna cover gfx-card installation here, since it is just like any other PCI-E mobo, search for drivers for your gfx-card.

Status after installation:

IDE - partially working with generic driver 1MB/s and max 128GB drives

SATA - works fine

Audio - no audio

Firewire - works fine

USB - only 1.0 speed

Network - works fine both ports, detected as Built-in Ethernet and PCI Ethernet Slot ethernet

Getting IDE working:

In BIOS set SATA mode to Emulated PATA mode then

First, getting UDMA modes for the ALi/ULi 0x522910B9 chip is as simple as adding 0x522910B9 to the SATA section of /system/library/extensions/AppleVIAATA.kext/Contents/Info.plist. That's right, I said the SATA section and not the PATA section. I don't know why this works, but it does. You must

then remove or rename /system/library/extensions/IOATAFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleGenericPCATA.kext so that it will not conflict with the VIA kext.

Fix permissions in extensions folder either with typing in terminal or running my kext helper app.

Audio:

Install Taruga's ALC882 Sound Fix v0.4b and then modify:

I found the IDs I needed and replaced pci8086,27D8 in ALCInject.kext/Contents/Info.plist with pci10B9,5461 as well as the IOPrimaryMatch from 0x00008086;0x0000FFFF whatever to 0x000010B9;0x0000FFFF. I also changed in AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleHDAController.kext/Contents/Info.plist the 0x27D88086 to 0x546110B9.

Remove AzaliaAudio.kext if you edited it for 2ch sound earlier.

Fix permissions in extensions folder either with typing in terminal or running my kext helper app.

USB:

Simply install orByte's PCGenUSBEHCI driver follow the included instructions and you will be fine.

Sudo touch your extensions folder if your fixing in terminal (kext helper will do this for you if u used it.)

Reboot and your system should be working 100% :whistle:

Now you should have:

IDE - works fine

SATA - works fine

Audio - works fine, digital out also works

Firewire - works fine

USB - works fine at USB 1.0 and 2.0 speeds

Network - works fine both ports, detected as Built-in Ethernet and PCI Ethernet Slot ethernet

Modify your instalation DVD:

run these commands in terminal as super user:

sudo su (enter your password after this line)

mkdir /DVD_Extensions

mkextunpack -d /DVD_Extensions /Volumes/Jas\ OS\ 10.4.7/System/Library/Extensions.mkext

(Your DVD name may be different so replace the "Jas\ OS\ 10.4.7" part with whatever yours is called, noting that the \ after a word is needed in order to put a space in. This will extract all of the extensions in the mkext file into /DVD_Extensions.)

All of the extensions in this folder are flattened meaning that anything that would be in a plugins folder within a kext is now located right next to the kext that would normally contain it. This means that the AppleGenericPCATA.kext that is normally in IOATAFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/ is now located in the /DVD_Extensions along with IOATAFamily.kext. This means that if you're adding a new kext that contains plugins, you will need to place each kext into the /DVD_Extensions folder. This shouldn't matter if you're using kexts without plugins.

After you add the kexts you want in the bootup Extension.mkext, run these commands:

chown -R root:wheel /DVD_Extensions

chmod -R 755 /DVD_Extensions

now you'll be able to run the kextcache.

kextcache -m /Extensions.mkext /DVD_Extensions

this will now create a new Extensions.mkext on your root / folder which you can then use transmac or whatever to replace the old one.

If you're in Mac, you can mount the image as readwrite by doing this:

hdiutil attach /"Your Image Name Here" -readwrite

This will let you copy the files directly to the image.

• 4 months later...

Hey i have followed this to the letter on getting the onboard sound working with my Mobo, i was able to get it working on the JaS install of 10.4.8, but i upgraded to 10.4.9 by installing the "Mr.Rogers" DVD and now cant get the sound working again. Any ideas? i have installed the mpkg the same way as before, edited both files just as before and repaired the permissions just like before and still nothing. any ideas?

ok small update for more info, i checked the system profiler and ALCinject did not load but appleHDA did.

post-146332-1194058495_thumb.png

Just incase you cant read whats at the bottom of the pic:

AppleHDAController:

Version: 1.3.2

Last Modified: 6/4/07 7:28 AM

Get Info String: 1.3.2a5, Copyright Apple Inc. 2005-2007

Location: /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleHDAController.kext

kext Version: 1.3.2a5

Load Address: 0x41f56000

Valid: Yes

Authentic: Yes

Dependencies: Incomplete

Dependency Errors:

com.apple.iokit.IOHDAFamily: No valid version of this dependency can be found

com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily: No valid version of this dependency can be found

com.apple.kpi.bsd: No valid version of this dependency can be found

com.apple.kpi.iokit: No valid version of this dependency can be found

com.apple.kpi.libkern: No valid version of this dependency can be found

com.apple.kpi.mach: No valid version of this dependency can be found

Integrity: Kext has no receipt

• 1 year later...
I see this is a pretty old thread eh? I have the same mobo....and damn its been a struggle....from day one. Anyway, I got everything working, one way or another.....except the IDE issue. I tried altering the AppleVIAATA.kext and deleting the AppleGenericPCATA.kext, but it broke my install. It couldn't recognize the drive (I made the sure the numbers jived), so I couldn't boot. Had to reinstall....I'm not doing that again....are there any other methods of fixing the ide?

I'm also trying to install on this board, I don't know if you still hang around, but how did you get USB working? I'm working with Kalyway's 10.5.2, I have tried the USB fix on the installer, orByte's latest USB and even Slice's but none of them give me the ability to plug memory stick, usb hdd or anything and have them mounted. This is the last thing and then it's perfect.