GMA950 gfx problems *update* almost there, but...

8 posts in this topic

Hi. I have a ESC 945G-M3 motherboard with an Intel GMA950 gfx chipset. Installation of JaS 10.4.8 went fine, computer booted and everything. Problem is, when I installed the additional GMA950 drivers off the DVD and re-booted the PC, all I got was a blue screen.

From what I can read on the forums, 99% of people seem to have no problems at all with intergrated GMA950 gfx, infact, some people have actually bought motherboards that have GMA950 chipsets because they know it'll work and it's cheap.

If anyone can help I'd really appreciate it.

right, here's an update.

tried finding an older version of the AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext but no luck. i then read that the GMA950 patch that comes on the original JaS 10.4.8 DVD is a bit dodgy, so i took the plunge and downloaded uphuck v1.3. installed in five minutes flat, and when it rebooted Quartz Extreme was working. problem is, it's stuck in 1024x768. after a bit of reading on these forums i discovered that i needed to force the resolution i wanted (1680x1050) in the com.apple.Boot.plist. i tried this but only got 1280x1024. after a bit more reading i did "?video" at the boot menu only to see that 1680x1024 wasn't listed. this puzzled me as i knew for a fact that the chipset supported that resolution. for a test i booted up vista with the GMA950 on as appose to my x1950 pro, and low and behold, i could set the res to 1680x1050.

now, there's got to be a way to get this working correctly under OSX, i just can't figure out how. the one thing i have noticed is that in the BIOS the GMA950 is set to use 224MB of Vram, it's maximum, yet OSX's system profiler reports just 64MB of shared vram. could this be a clue?

this has pissed me off so much, if i can finally get it working i'm gonna blog how i did it :D

right, here's an update.

tried finding an older version of the AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext but no luck. i then read that the GMA950 patch that comes on the original JaS 10.4.8 DVD is a bit dodgy, so i took the plunge and downloaded uphuck v1.3. installed in five minutes flat, and when it rebooted Quartz Extreme was working. problem is, it's stuck in 1024x768. after a bit of reading on these forums i discovered that i needed to force the resolution i wanted (1680x1050) in the com.apple.Boot.plist. i tried this but only got 1280x1024. after a bit more reading i did "?video" at the boot menu only to see that 1680x1024 wasn't listed. this puzzled me as i knew for a fact that the chipset supported that resolution. for a test i booted up vista with the GMA950 on as appose to my x1950 pro, and low and behold, i could set the res to 1680x1050.

now, there's got to be a way to get this working correctly under OSX, i just can't figure out how. the one thing i have noticed is that in the BIOS the GMA950 is set to use 224MB of Vram, it's maximum, yet OSX's system profiler reports just 64MB of shared vram. could this be a clue?

this has pissed me off so much, if i can finally get it working i'm gonna blog how i did it :)

Ignore the amount of ram it says it's using. It's always wrong - just be happy it works at all, as for a blog on how to do it - there's no point what so ever, you can find the solution all over the web and is quite possibly the easiest Mac fix ever...

~mac.nub

i'm sorry, you'll have to forgive my ignorance, but i'm new to this. i've searched the web, and these forums, yet i can't find anything that helps me solve my resolution problem. any chance you could point me in the right direction? cheers.