Please help!

Chris L.

7 posts in this topic

Okay, I've got a G5 2.0 Ghz with 3 gb of RAM, 2 internal SATA drives (one cleared and ready for Leopard) and two ATi video cards and two LCD displays. I acquired a copy of 9a466. After burning it to a DVD DL, I rebooted intending on installing Leopard onto my spare internal. It booted just fine, and then I went through the normal steps. Once it got to the actual installation, it gets about 1/7th of the process (about or around underneath the 'M' in "Installing Mac OS..etc" it just sits there. It doesn't lock up, it doesn't freeze, it just sits there. I left it for about 50 min. and it still didn't progress. The first time I tried it, it says 25 min. remaining. Since trying it 3 or 4 more times (every time before I reformat the destination drive) the time remaining changes from 25 min., to 24, to 46 to 23. Very inconsistent. I even tried unplugging all my peripherals with the exception of the keyboard and mouse.

I tried getting a different copy, but I can't even boot from it. I get a kernel panic. So I've stuck with my original burn.

Can anyone help me? Anyone have this issue? Thanks in advance!

What he means is creating a separate partition on your first (or, much faster way) your second drive just big enough (7Gig) to "restore" the image you "acquired" to it then restarting (startup disk) to that partition, then doing the installation from there...

Vsquared. That's a good idea. So, I'll reformat the second drive with two partitions and restore the image to the smaller partition, boot from it, and install on the bigger partition right? I also forgot to mention I tried installing Tiger on the second drive first, installing all updates, then upgrading. Did the same thing.