Can't boot 10.5 from iMac G5

pat34

10 posts in this topic

Hello, I have dl'ed and burned OSX 10.5 on a double layered DVD on my external DVD drive, with a registered Dragon Burn, BUT... the drive itself doesn't recognize the written DVD anymore, my internal Combo doesn't write to double layered DVD's in the first place, but it does read it, but doesn't start or boot up from it. I'm lost....

Startup disk in sys pref. reads the DVD as a startup item or volume but when it boots it starts to search for another volume.

Then I downloaded Carbon Copy cloner but it does only seemed to clone already installed systems.

Could anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong here, cause I've read about people just being able to copy the opened install disk image to a partitioned harddrive and booting up from it, despite the root privileges and so on<bin- and var- files>

In my opinion... and if anyone can prove me wrong, then please do so... it's impossible.

Please help me here, cause I'd love to see leopard in action, and up until now I've spent like a week getting it to work.

Hi pat34. I have to tell you that Leopard is great on my iMacG5!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

I've burn the dvd with the iMacG5 internal dvd dl writer and with Disk Utility and it works fine for me.

I have some ridicoulous question for you...

Do you press 'c' at boot time in order to boot from the Leopard Install DVD?

Or do you set in Startup Disk the Leopard Install DVD as the boot disk?

I am not God, dear pat34.

It's strange. Startup Disk see it as a boot volume but the Mac don't start...

Try to burn the image of Leopard Install Disk with Disk Utility that is the application everybody has used to make the Leopard DVD.

You know, the thing is... if I insert my empty DVD in the int. drive, it gets spat out again an again, and disk utility doesn't see the ext. drive, for some stupid reason.

So that leaves me no other choice.

Maybe you know a way to put the install disk on a partitioned harddrive... cause I've tried that too, didn't work.

By the way... I envy you for having leopard, you lucky B. :star_smile:

I also could not get it to work on my iMac G5.

I have a revision A (first one released) and it doesn't have a dual layer burner, so couldn't burn it with that. I did burn two copies though using Toast 8 and Disk Utility - the iMac could see them but not boot from it. Since it's a powerpc mac it doesn't boot from USB either, which is how I installed it on my MacBook. So I just gave up trying to install it on my iMac G5.

Mine is a G5 iMac (ALS), 2.0ghz 20", with the dual-layer superdrive, and Leopard works fine.

But, I created 2 partitions on an external firewire drive, as HFS+ (Journaled), Apple Partition Map, and restored the dmg to one of the partitions, then rebooted holding "option" down and selecting that partition, booted in to the install, and installed on the other partition of the external drive.