A Question for the Experts :)

agrafuese

3 posts in this topic

Hey everyone -

I've tried a handful of x86 releases out there for my AMD hackintosh, and up to this point I've had a relatively painless experience. Everything seems to be running fine and I'm in the process of deciding which release I like best, as each one seems to have its quirks in one way or another. To try to help the decision making process, I've run some xbench tests on each installation. While there doesn't seem to be very much variance overall, there seems to be one area that is varying a whole lot, and that is the part of the test called "Lock Contention", which you'll notice is under the Thread Test section of xbench's result page. At the moment, I am running a Tubgirl release of 10.4.9, and it has a score of 157 on Lock Contention. However, a previous installation I tried out by Uphuck had a score of 300. So basically, I am wondering:

1.) What the hell is "Lock Contention" in the first place?

2.) Why is it so varied between installations?

3.) What can be done to maximize it on my Tubgirl release (which I am favoring the most at the moment)?

I know this is splitting hairs, especially since many of you are having a hard enough time just getting OSX to run at all, but if any one has any clue about this stuff, I'd love to learn more ;)

Thanks,

agra

UPDATE: I ran multiple back-to-back Thread Tests on my current installation and discovered that xbench reports a wide variance on the Lock Contention results of around +/- 50. So it wasn't my installation at all, but rather some quirky results from xbench. Case closed :D

Lock Contention: This occurs whenever one process or thread attempts to acquire a lock held by another process or thread. The more granular the available locks, the less likely one process/thread will request a lock held by the other. (For example, locking a row rather than the entire table, or locking a cell rather than the entire row.)

For more details... Visit this page.

Cool :thumbsup_anim: So that answers my first question...anyone else want to take a stab at questions #2 and #3 ?

Oh, btw, I just looked at some old xbench results from two different installations of 10.4.8 (Jas & Tubgirl releases) and the Lock Contention score on them is even higher, coming in at around 328 and 336, respectively. I am really curious now...

(found an answer to my questions...read the UPDATE message on my first post)