Dual Booting OS 10.4 & XP (boot loader question)

Beauford

9 posts in this topic

I have read many of the posts here and elsewhere on getting this to work, but no luck so far. I currently have XP installed on disk 0 partition 1 and it is the system partition. I then installed OSX on disk 0 partition 2 and it is active, but when I reboot I get a message that there is no operating system. I have chain0 in the root of C: and editied my boot.ini. I had to restore Windows via Acronis to get Windows to boot again. The OS 10 install is still on the second partition and I copied chain0 back to C: and edited the boot.ini again, is there a way I can get this to boot as it currently isn't - or did restoring Windows remove any files or settings that the MAC OS may have put there.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately Windows will not allow me to change this. When I try to boot the Mac OS I get to a point where it says - Waiting on <dict ID="0"><key> - and then a bunch of other stuff which I was too lazy to write out.

Is there a 'free' simple boot manager I can user that won't totally screw up things. I don't have Acronis which I heard works.

Thanks

LOL. Ok, I changed my Windows C: drive to active and then reinstalled OSX. All went fine and I was able to boot into the MAC OS. So I looked around a bit set up some preferences and installed a few updates when asked - now when I choose to boot into OSX it just keeps reebooting. I get a ton of stuff scrolling on a black screen, and then the screen goes blank and reboots, it keeps doing this until I choose to boot into Windows, which is where I am now. So I am assuming the updates I installed screwed something up - but who knows. Bottom line is I'm back to square one.

Any ideas. I am using chain0 and have edited my boot.ini file.

Thanks

(...) and then reinstalled OSX. All went fine (...) So I (...) installed a few updates when asked - now when I choose to boot into OSX it just keeps reebooting.

well, that's it:

On a hackintosh, DO NOT install official Apple updates for OSX, as they might very probably need to be hacked themselves.

This is a point that is not mentioned on low-grade hackintosh install guides, unfortunately.

Unless someone can give you instructions on how to reverse this, and if you didn't make a clone/backup of this initial osx installation, then you might have to reinstall.

Always come here or at other hackintosh-related forums to see if apple updates are safe to install, and possibly hints were to get the hacked updated if they are not.

Well that's good to know, but I did reinstall and have another problem. The first reboot after installing was fine - I got to the desktop and everything was working great. This time, before I did anything I rebooted the computer - I get the same scrolling stuff, but instead of it rebooting it goes to another black screen with more information on it - and just hangs there.

There is a line that says "Waiting on UUID xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx" or close to it, and then another line with "Waiting on <dict ID="0"><key> etc."

I wish I could capture the entire screen, as there is just to much to try and write down, but maybe this will make sense to the experienced user here and someone can offer some advice.

Just a note, when I rebooted from the MAC desktop it did not completely reboot. It stopped on a black screen saying it was rebooting and stayed there. I had to manually hit the reset button.

Thanks

Perhaps then you could search osx86's wiki's HCL, or search this forum, to see if others had similar problems (and solutions) with the same hardware you have.

Or indicate to use, in this thread or your signature, what kind of hardware you have. This might help.

Thanks. I have a Pentium® 4 CPU 2.80 GHz on a cheap Foxconn 865G7MF Motherboard (Intel chipset, but not sure what it is) with built in sound and NIC, an NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 sound card, a GIG of DDR 400 memory, and an 80 gig Maxtor HD (not sata). Other hardware includes an LG DVD burner and a Hauppauge TV Card.As a stand alone OS it works fine (other than a small issue with the mouse and keyboard), but when I try to dual boot I get the problem.Sorry, that's an NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 video card.