Disc utility doesn't show my partition

RoyaRandom

13 posts in this topic

I tried installing JaS.Mac.OS.X.10.4.8.AMD.Intel.SSE2.SSE3.PPF.1.Defiant.diskutil.biker880.ich7-R.patch.Integrated with vmware. I created a partition with acronis (FAT32 ShagOSswap) but when i go to disk utility in the instalation it only showed 1 drive with 128gb..any help?

You, my friend, are running into a problem with LBA. You can find more information on wikipedia about LBA. Anyway, it basically shakes down to your installation not recognizing the LBA controller and it therefore won't access anything beyond 128 GB. Now, are you installing IN VMWare or via VMWare? If you are using VMWare to install to native then I assume you have already found out that you have some issue with controller recognition in the installer. I would recommend you search for solutions to LBA recognition for your controller. You may get lucky, or you may not. If not you might have to purchase a PCI ATA controller card.

Hope that helps.

Stevo

Ok ic but today i tried to install with a 10.4.7 it showed all my partition. & btw my partition size for mac is only 32gb so that's not over 128gb. I have an ati south board so i tried to install with vmware to native, i am using this guide: http://marc88.blogspot.com/2007/03/osx86-i...x200-users.html

the guide tells me to use 10.4.8 but for some reason it won't show my partition. any help on this?

thx

Well, thats good news for you because you now know that there is a kext that will provide the full functionality. You will have to move over the appropriate kexts from your 10.4.7 install to the 4.8 install and that should allow it to work. The kexts will be in the /system/library/extensions/ folder. Now which one you need will depend on your hardware, which you haven't specified well enough for anyone to tell you yet. However, when you provide the necessary information, I am not familiar enough with ATI south bridges to give you the appropriate kext.

S

You can find the SATA controller information by using Knoppix or Ubuntu Live CDs. Then either search for the chipset (preferably) or post something to find out what kext you need to move. You simply copy the kext from the working install onto like a USB drive, then paste it into your new install once done. Afterward you will have to run chown, chmod, repair permissions, and delete the kext caches.

S

Okay,

You first are going to have to find the ATA controller chipset. There are two methods. Find the information via looking up the motherboard on the manufacturer website. Or, use a linux live CD using utilities that will be packaged with the distro. You'll need the manufacturer of the chipset and the model number.

Then look here on the forums to find what kext you'll need to copy.

I'm having this problem too, EXACTLY.

Odd thing is, I've previously installed both 10.4.6 AND 10.4.7 successfully on the same box, and they saw all my partitions (or only the one I wanted it to see). I've sectioned off 80 gigs of a SATA drive, but VMware still creates a virtual disk @ 128gb without me asking it to. I'm working off the onboard Intel 945G Express ICH7 controller (82801GB), w/ a Pentium D 950 (3.4).

I even used the same virtual machine with this installation that I did with the previous ones... but for some reason, VMware still thinks I'm using a virtual drive. I'm also using the Uphuck 1.3 DVD, so it probably isn't a problem with our images?

hi experts here pls help... i followed dilnalomo's instructions on his guide http://dilnalomo.googlepages.com/xposx03

however, i seem to encouter the same prob u guys have just experienced... only that even though i have a win xp partition n a blank fat32(lba) partition, the disk utility cant seem to detect the hdd my lappie contains... ani help?

edited: i use a 10.4....8 too