Installing Leopard - help!

violinist

6 posts in this topic

After downloading Leopard, I moved it to a partition on another (Crappy, old) Mac I have. I started up that Mac in target Disk Mode, the partition showed up on my main Mac's (newer, faster) screen, and I started up from it. I proceeded to install Leopard from the other computer's install partition onto my computer, and for an installation type, I chose "upgrade".

The installation goes fine, but once I start up my computer after installing, it starts up in verbose mode, and I can tell something is wrong because:

1) The text flys by really fast, repeating the same thing

2) Through all the text, I can decipher that the mach_kernel thingy failed. :) Loginwindow isn't launching, nothing works.

So finally, I reinstalled Tiger on my main Mac while the old Mac sits there with the Leopard installer on one of its partitions.

Little help here?

Apparently the Upgrade option is extremely buggy and not recommended even by apple, if your going to install leopard your going to have to do a fresh install.

You are right, upgrading isn't recommended for any OS.

Try a fresh install

I chose "upgrade".

Little help here?

There are a large number of posts with people choosing "upgrade" and things not working.

PROTIP: Don't choose upgrade.

A fresh install is the only choice right now, and be careful if you try to restore settings you've backed up from Tiger, because in my experience Leo does not enjoy that.

Ok i have a 400gig usb2 external drive. I was going to partition the drive into 2 , restore leo with diskutil on one, and install on the other.

The computer will not boot from usb, (macbookpro core duo), and if i try to run the install from within tiger it tells me "the application installmacosx cannot be used from this volume". To install mac osx please use the application provided on the maxosx installation disk :((((

Can anyone help?

Ok i have a 400gig usb2 external drive. I was going to partition the drive into 2 , restore leo with diskutil on one, and install on the other.

The computer will not boot from usb, (macbookpro core duo), and if i try to run the install from within tiger it tells me "the application installmacosx cannot be used from this volume". To install mac osx please use the application provided on the maxosx installation disk :thumbsdown_anim:(((

Can anyone help?

Maybe installing the Beta isn't for you?

Did you try selecting the partition you wanted to boot from as the Startup Disk?