MCE Reciever

4 posts in this topic

MCE receivers yes, MCE remote no.

MCE receivers (so-called eHome 2005 ir receivers) is recognised by OSX & works with the Apple Remote out of the box. Examples would include the receiver that comes with Microsoft Remote Control for MCE & Philips OVU4003 ir receiver. www.twistedmelon.com also sells a receiver that works with the Apple Remote. I think the ir receiver that comes with the Hauppauge WinTV PVR-150MCE also works but is unconfirmed.

In general anything that complies with the eHome 2005 standard or that works with Windows MCE (XP not Vista & does not require drivers) should work with OSX but be aware that newer or refreshed Windows MCE products may come with a different ir receiver that is not recognised by OSX. I bought one such MCE kit for my hackintosh and found out the hard way that it did not work. In addition, some Keyspan ir receivers work with the Apple Remote.

The MCE remote control does not work period. Afaik I have not seen any 3rd party drivers or software that supports it.

Personally, as I couldn't find a compatible ir receiver in my country, I use a Nintendo Wiimote & a Sony PS3 BD Remote. Both operate via bluetooth. This however required additional software in the form of Remote Buddy, www.iospirit.com.

I gathered all this info while building my HTPC Hackintosh. Hope that helps.

Personally, as I couldn't find a compatible ir receiver in my country, I use a Nintendo Wiimote & a Sony PS3 BD Remote. Both operate via bluetooth. This however required additional software in the form of Remote Buddy, www.iospirit.com.

This is really good info and with my experiences I agree 100%. the software Remote buddy is excellent and I would recommend it to anyone lookin g to make a HTPC

• 1 year later...