Installing leopard?

PowerPPC2289

13 posts in this topic

So I have leopard as a .dmg file on my windows pc as my macbook doesnt have a dvd burner and I figured I would get it on my pc and then burn it to a dvd, but then I realised I had no dvds that would fit 6gb on, only 4.7gb. My question is, if I get a dual layer dvd and burn it on my windows laptop and then put it on my macbook, can my macbooks superdrive read a dual layer dvd? This is probably silly question as apple must be planning on using dual layer dvds when leopard is released? Also it wouldnt just be possible to run the .dmg on my macbook, I would have to physically have it on some form of media.

Hi. I had the exactly same problem. First you must follow this guide(modified a little to make it work)

How to install Leopard with only single layer DVD media

OK, I have just created a bootable copy of the Leopard install DVD using the following method:

1. Open the Leopard installation DVD using Disk Utility.

2. Using the Disk Utility, create a new dual layer (8.5GB) sparse image called leopard (actual filename will be leopard.sparseimage) and mount it.

3. Restore the Leopard installation DVD to the mounted leopard.sparseimage (not the image file.)

4. Open the mounted leopard.sparseimage with Finder, and delete the XCodeTools directory. Delete all the printer drivers you don't need too.

5. Unmount the mounted leopard.sparseimage.

6. Using the Disk Utility, create a new single layer (4.4GB) spare image called boot (actual filename will be boot.sparseimage) and mount it.

7. Restore the leopard.sparseimage image file to the mounted boot.sparseimage (not the image file.)

8. Unmount the mounted boot.sparseimage.

Now you have a DMG that fits on a single layered DVD, but it still can't be burned on Windows. The solution is to open Disk Utility, select the newly created image boot, and convert it to a CD/DVD master.

Transfer the newly created .cdr image to your other computer, and change the extension from .cdr to .iso.

Now you can burn it with almost all burning programs :thumbsup_anim:

I couldn't get it to read the disc once I burned it.. so I'm doing it this way:

Okay step by step

1. Download the dmg (I'm going to call it leopard.dmg)

2. Plug in your external harddrive (I'm going to call it newdrive)

3. Open up Disk Utility

4. Click on newdrive

5. You'll see "First Aid, Erase, Partition, RAID, Restore

6. Click on restore

7. You'll see two fields Source: and Destination:

8. For Source: select leopard.dmg from wherever it is on your harddrive

9. For Destination: drag newdrive from the Disk Utility drive list

10. Click on restore (It might take a while if you're using USB... maybe a few hours, just let it go)

11. Leave this new harddrive with leopard attached to your computer

12. Open System Preferences

13. Click on Startup Disk

14. Select newdrive with the Leopard Install

15. Restart the computer

16. Leopard install begins

17. Install it where ever you want.

When I installed it I wiped my main harddrive because I wanted to have nothing on it to interfere.... this is a beta after all. I backed up all my stuff and I'd suggest you do the same.

Once I have made the dvd do I have to boot from it or can I just put it in as I want to install leopard and keep all my documents etc.
There is an option to upgrade, but it is very unstable and not recommended at all. I suggest that you back-up all your stuff and manually restore them on Leopard.

What are the risks of ugrading and when you say unstable you mean whilst installing or that I will encounter problems afterwards aswell.
Yeah, serious problems afterwards! Apple recommends not to use it, since it practically is unusable.