Some questions about dual booting XP w/ OS X on PC

5 posts in this topic

Hey everyone, first time post here.

I have some questions about getting rolling with dual booting XP with OS X. I am building a video editing system and would like to do work on both the XP and OS X side without having to use two systems (PC and MAC). For the most part I am interested in seeing if anyone here has done this already for the same purposes. If it works on this PC (and it should) then I will do it on the machine I'm building. Below I will post the specs and questions for the current machine I'm using and the one that I will be upgrading to here this summer.

Current Machine:

Specs:

Motherboard: Intel DQ965GFEKR (Supports PCI express, socket 775, blah blah blah)

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E4400 (MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, EM64T)

RAM: 2GB

HD: 250GB 7200 SATA Drive (will be installing another for the MAC OS X boot)

Graphics: Currently the onboard graphics from the Intel board (Will be installing 640MB EVGA GeForce 8800 GTS dual hdmi out and sli ready, pci express)

I dont know if anything else really matters here...

Questions:

1.) I am 95% sure from what I've read that the computer will handle both as soon as I pick up the other HD and put it in. However, I could not gather if the OS X side will use dual core ok or not? Can someone enlighten me with that.

2.) I would like to install Final Cut Studio on it (and when it comes out upgrade to Final Cut Studio 2). Will this work at all? I won't be going all out and getting any super duper capture cards for it as I don't need one as of yet (just firewire support with my sony HDV cam). Has anyone done this with their machine?

3.) Will the OS X side support RAID? The motherboard I have supports it and I will be using it in both this system and the other one described below.

COMPUTER TO BE:

Specs:

Motherboard: EVGA nForce 680i SLI NVIDIA Socket 775 ATX Motherboard (I'm only thinking about it at the moment)

Processor: Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6700 (Quad-Core)

RAM: 8GB

HD: 4 250GB 7200rpm SATA drives in a RAID setup

Graphics: 640MB EVGA GeForce 8800 GTS (same as above)

Questions:

1.) Pretty much the same as above. I have a feeling that if it doesn't support dual core it wont support quad. But again, if anyone could please enlighten me.

2.) Graphics. Does this process support most every graphics card out there right now?

3.) Again, raid, I absolutely need it in this machine. Please lemme know.

Thank you in advance everyone. Any information that I can piece together will save me a load of money down the road im sure. Thanks again!

doing a bit more research some of my questions (primarily about dual/quad core) have been answered. I'm curious at this point then about getting RAID up and running and also more importantly if anyone else has final cut studio working on their PC Macs.

doing a bit more research some of my questions (primarily about dual/quad core) have been answered. I'm curious at this point then about getting RAID up and running and also more importantly if anyone else has final cut studio working on their PC Macs.

Final Cut Pro, Express, iMovie, Avid, nothing works for me because I don't have any damn drivers for my video card, and it sucks!

That is what I'm beginning to see...

I finally stumbled across http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/ and I see that the video card I would like to get is not supported at all at this point. So either I will shop around for something as a temporary solution and still get that card at least in one of the rigs and wait, or I'll have to consider changing the video card all together. I just really want final cut to work on this PC. I don't feel like spending outrageous amounts of cash at the moment getting a quad core mac. I save around 4000 bucks with this approach. And being as I don't do video editing every day (or every week for that matter) that is all the difference in the world. If I was I would just pony up the 8000 for a mac with compared specs. Anyways, I would be happy to hear of anyone who does have final cut running and if so what card they are using.

Actually, I am using the whole FCS2 suite pretty regularly on my Hack. It's been rock solid whether I'm saving output to NTFS or HFS+ drives. I'm dual booting with chain0 method. System specs are in my sig.