Air Port Card?

8 posts in this topic

i did and it doesn't work, i did a dmesg after pluggin in and i could notice that the pc had disabled the card, dunno why

tried on 2 laptot both with osx86

I did some research too. I've got a Linksys WPC54G PCMCIA wireless card. This card is almost identical to the Airport Cards, because they both use the Broadcom chipset. System Profiler identifies it as pci14e4,4320. I also see a the card in the top menu at finder, as "Broadcom 802.11b Cardbus". Still, Airport and ifconfig dont recognise the card.

I've looked into /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAirport2.kext/Content/Info.plist, where the same ID show up, pci14e4,4320.

So the Airport kext hás support for the card, we only need the find a way to make it work. Maybe its because PPC drivers wont work on x86 machines. Allthough i got Rosetta working on my SSE2, still the driver doesn't do the job.

I tried to install the AppleAirport2.kext from the Darwin-x86 iso, but OSX doesn't want the file. It start complaining about the file being improperly installed. I chmod'ed the file to 755, that didn't work out either.

It's probably complaining because the file *ownership*, not permissions are incorrect. Try "chown -R root:wheel /path/to/AppleAirport2.kext" to set the correct ownership.

Make sure to post back here if it works :(

It's probably complaining because the file *ownership*, not permissions are incorrect. Try "chown -R root:wheel /path/to/AppleAirport2.kext" to set the correct ownership.

Make sure to post back here if it works :P

Okay, both the rights and the ownership is set correctly. OSX isn't complaining about the file anymore, thanks! However, it doesn't do any good. Still OSX doesn't recognise the card as an Airport adapter.

The card still shows up in the top menu (Finder) and System Profiler sees the PC Card. Both ifconfig and Airport won't recognise the card. The only thing different with this file (the AppleAirport2.kext from the Darwin x86 iso) is that it makes the "Airport Setup Assistent" crash after it says there isn't any Airport card found.