Dell 700m People ...

32 posts in this topic

Earlier this week I found a forum that had a full 700m "how to" guide

I just got it all installed today and I go looking for the site, and it doesn't exist...

Sooooo, I was wondering if anyone users on here with 700m's could help the rest of us out...

There were three things they had got enabled / going:

resolution: they had it at the native 1280x800, I think it was a command they used

audio: working perfectly (I don't remember, command or file)

native install: they had a little how to on how to have a dual boot setup between 2 partitions... They used Acronis TrueImage for the majority of it, I just don't remember the order...

So, if anyone knows of the commands / instructions necessary for anything dell 700m related, please post...

Thanx all

That is pretty funny. You beat me to the 700m post.

I observed a signifigant number of people (both here and other osx86 site forums) have a 700m and wish to install OSx on it.. maybe its because it looks like a Mac in a way..

Anyways, If i have any relevant info, Ill post it here for this laptop since I own it too.

-S

The "simple and accurate" install in the wiki should work.

Earlier this week I found a forum that had a full 700m "how to" guide

I just got it all installed today and I go looking for the site, and it doesn't exist...

Sooooo,  I was wondering if anyone users on here with 700m's could help the rest of us out...

There were three things they had got enabled / going:

resolution: they had it at the native 1280x800, I think it was a command they used

audio: working perfectly (I don't remember, command or file)

native install: they had a little how to on how to have a dual boot setup between 2 partitions...  They used Acronis TrueImage for the majority of it, I just don't remember the order...

So, if anyone knows of the commands / instructions necessary for anything dell 700m related, please post...

Thanx all

I have a 700m, everything is working except the wireless.

Here are some tips:

-use the skip=63 option with dd to install in an empty partition that is formatted to AF

-use chain0 and edit boot.ini to dual-boot

-delete appleintel* from /System/Library/Extensions

-install the modified .kext's to get the resolution working (can be found somewhere on this site)

-install the see2 to sse3 patch from maxxus to get itunes working

that's about it.

The last few lines I see:

(Current Day&Time) kextd[44]: kld_load_from_memory() failed for module /System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleACPIDisplay.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleACPIDisplay

(Current Day&Time) kextd[44]: a link/load error occured for kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/AppleACIPIPlatform.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleACPIDisplay.kext

GFX0: family specific matching fails

display: family specific matching fails

kextload: /System/Library/Extensions/AppleTPMACPI.kext/ loaded successfully

IPv6 packet filtering initialized, default to accept, logging disabled

register_mach_bootstrap_servers: bootstrap_register(): 1101

(Current Day&Time) localhost mDNSResponder-107 (May 14 2005 20: 18:39)[57]: starting

(Current Day&Time) localhost DirectoryService[70]: Launched version 2.0 (v349)

AppleBCM440XEthernet: Ethernet address (.........)

(Current Day&Time) localhost /System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app/Contents/MacOS/loginwindow: Login Window Application Started

GFX0: vram [e8000000:08000000]

I have the 700 m installed on a seperate partition and am able to boot it. i have not gotten audio or wlan to work yet. What type of help do you need on the install part.

MATTY just curious, did you find a way to install directly to a partition? or did you just install by erasing the HD and then RE install all that XP stuff in new(er) partition?

-Stray

Hey all,

I thought this was a dead thread, thanx for responding all

I've got pretty much everything necessary to get networking + sound + resolution working straight...

I'm working on putting it native now and I'll tell everyone what all I get working once I've got it up.

use the skip=63 option with dd to install in an empty partition that is formatted to AF

What do you mean by AF ??? Doesn't it have to be HFS ?

and how do you go about formating it ?

install the see2 to sse3 patch from maxxus to get itunes working

I haven't even heard of that, where do you get it ?

Thanx for posting all...

OK HERE WE GO THIS IS GOING TO TAKE SOME XPANING BUT IT IS WELL WORTH IT AN KINDA FUN. FIRST I HAVE 3 PARTITIONS A 20 GB XP A 10 GB OSX AND A 30 GB FAT TO SHARE BETWEEN THE OSX AND WINDOWS. NEXT WE DO THIS STUFF FROM XPLODE.NET VERY GOOD GUIDE. GUIDE CAN BE FOUND AT XPLODE GUIDE FOR SSE2 MAKE SURE YOU VIRTURAL DRIVE IS A TADD SMALLER THEN THE PARTITION YOU SET UP FOR THE OSX PARTITION. AFTER YOU DO THE XPLODE.NET GUIDE AND HAVE IT RUNNING IN VMWARE YOU NEED TO FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS FROM 360HACKER.NET HERE THEY ARE.

1. Pop in your Ubuntu disc and boot it. We are going to change out partition type to AF (apple partition). Open a terminal window and type:

Code:

cfdisk /dev/hda

Select the partition you want to install OS X on, and go to "Type." Manually write in "AF" as the type (it's not listed, but dont worry). Now write the changes to the disk by selecting "Write." Only the partition you changed will get erased.

2. Shutdown and bring up your PC in XP. Install VMware. Creating a new "FreeBSD" virual machine. Use your PHYSICAL hard drive as the main disc. Edit the virtual machine and add a second harddrive. Add the virtual drive from deadmoo's OS X release. Stick your Ubuntu disc in your cd-rom drive, and start the virtual machine.

3. At the VMware boot screen hit ESC to enter boot options, select to boot from CD-Rom. Ubuntu will boot up inside VMware. Start up a terminal window and run the command:

Code:

dd if=/dev/hdb1 of=/dev/hda2

This is assuming you mounted your physical drive as the first drive in vmware (hda), and deadmoo's image as the second drive (hdb), and that you are installing to the second partition of the first drive (hda2). CHANGE ACCORDINGLY. You can type "fdisk /dev/hda -l" to list the partitions of hda to make sure you get your numbers right.

When it's done you can shutdown the virtual machine and close VMware. Now we just need to setup to dual boot.

4. Download this file. Its the boot file for Darwin. Extract the file chain0 to your C: drive. Add the following line to the end of your boot.ini (C:\boot.ini ... you may need to temportarily uncheck "read only" so you can make changes to it):

Code:

C:\chain0="Mac OS X"

You're DONE. Reboot your machine, and select Mac OS X from the boot list.

BEFORE YOU REBOOT YOUR ENTIRE COMPUTER FOR THE FIRST TIME YOU NEED TO GO IN USEING VMWARE AND DELETE ALL OF THE APPLEINTEL DRIVERS FROM THE SYSTEM/EXTENTIONS FOLDER. THEN REBOOT AND IT SHOULD WORK YOU NEED TO SELECT OSX FIRST THEN WHEN THE DARWIN STARTUP SCREEN COMES UP HIT ANY HEY AND IT WILL BRING UP THE PARTITIONS AND STARTUP OPTIONS SELECT THE PARTITION YOU HAVE YOUR OSX ON AND IT SHOULD START UP. LAST YOU NEED TO DO THE SSE2 TO SSE3 PATCH ON YOU SYSTEM DO THIS NATIVE IN OSX BUT AND THIS IS A BIG BIG BUT YOU NEED TO INTALL IT TWICE. FIRST NOT REPLACEING THE ORGINAL DRIVERS THEN REBOOT THEN RUN IT AGAIN AND REPLACE THE DRIVERS. THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I HAVE FOUND THE PATCH WILL LOAD. BUT AFTER THAT EVERY THING BUT THE WIRELESS WORKS I HAVE THE INTEL 2200BG WIRELESS BUT I AM SURE IN A FEW DAYS THAT WILL HAVE A DRIVER. IF YOU HAVE ANY MORE QUESTIONS POST THEM HERE. AND I WILL TRY TO HELP OUT. I AM A LONG TIME XP/OSX USER AND AM VERRY HAPPY TO HAVE BOTH OPERATING SYSTEMS RUNNING ON MY DELL. MY 700M IS 100 TIMES FASTER THAN MY IBOOK G4 1.2 1GB RAM. AND I LOVE IT. LONG LIVE OSX86!

Has anyone gotten CoreGraphics & QuartzExtreme to work?

Another thing, if I close the laptop, it goes into sleep/suspend mode but there is no way to wake up the laptop. Anyone else have this problem and know how to fix or turn off this feature?

Has anyone gotten CoreGraphics & QuartzExtreme to work?

Another thing, if I close the laptop, it goes into sleep/suspend mode but there is not way to wake up the laptop. Anyone else have this problem and know how to fix or turn off this feature?

I still have both of these issues. No Q.E. and no way of waking up the laptop after it goes to sleep. Does anyone reading this have a solution? Thanks

OK some answers,

the clock doesnt account for intels centrino chipset and its ability to underclock its processor to save power, The clock is going to be alittle off.

I have successfuly installed OS X on my 700m laptop like others, however try as i might i cannot get the display to get recognized, kinda sucks. I i guess i need to know where and when to apply the "sudo chown" command (terminal? or start as single user and enter into teh console? dunno)

(http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=757)

The methods for installing OS X to a partition worked fantastically. I recommend it to anyone.

(http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Install_On_A_Partition_Simple_And_Accurate)

If you have the time and resources, starting the vmware image in the actual vmware program a couple of times before moving it over onto the partition. This way you can iron out some of the bugs re: display and such without having ot reboot into windows to do more research.

For the more UNdept with Bsd and like created software, (Im a hardware guy) I found some commands for the shell.

(http://www.ss64.com/osx/)

-S

I have successfuly installed OS X on my 700m laptop like others, however try as i might i cannot get the display to get recognized, kinda sucks. I i guess i need to know where and when to apply the "sudo chown" command (terminal? or start as single user and enter into teh console? dunno)

Basic musts concerning kernel extensions:

- All files and folders in the KEXT, including the KEXT itself, must be owned by root

- All files and folders in the KEXT, including the KEXT itself, must be owned by the wheel group

- All folders in the KEXT, including the KEXT itself, must have permissions 0755 (octal) or rwxr-xr-x

In other words, you need to do the chmod and chown anytime before OSX loads it (usually at boot time). I'd recommend opening a terminal window and then type 'su' to login as root. Then the commands are just:

chmod -R 755 whatever.kext

chown -R root:wheel whatever.kext

The 'sudo' part is unnecessary since you are logged in as root. Thanks for the info on the clock.

Now for some outstanding issues:

Quartz Extreme:

Have any 700m people gotten the 'AppleIntel830.kext' file to load for their display? (type 'kextstat' in a termial window to see loaded kexts) I have 1280x800 working via the 'AppleIntelIntegratedGraphics.kext' but I'd be interested in seeing if Quartz Extreme could be supported via 'AppleIntel830.kext'.

Resuming from Standby/Sleep:

Has anyone found a way to do this? It seems to go to sleep ok, but I haven't found a way to wake it back up.

Thanks!

Alright, finally good news...

After 3 days of the HD spinning (I'm surprised it didn't go out), I got it running native !!!

Sound worked right off the start, those kext files you posted worked absolutely perfectly, and I just used the .4 patch and am running itunes !!! I love it !

Like someone else said, all we need is wireless ...

I think how i did it was (I tried every way possible, this sounds right)

use the xplodenet guide to get tiger running through a virtual disk in vmare

create a new / remaining partition using diskpart - id=af

boot it in vmware as a slave to a virtual drive that had tiger installed by pearpc

erase the partition, extended journaled (the defualt)

boot partition into vmware alone with darwin in cdrom

install darwin

(for some reason here it wouldn't allow me to boot to darwin, natively or vmware)

put it back as the slave to the tiger virtual drive and restore the virtual tiger install to the partition (if it comes up not recognized / mounted on boot, somethings wrong, it has to restore on top of darwin)

setup chain0 in the boot.ini so you can boot to it

It will boot into darwin and hopefully directly into OSX, if it doesn't

platform=X86PC|ACPI -x

(my display drivers were messed up, so i fixed it all through there, and booted up perfectly....

Once again, thanx to all who responded to this thread : )

Glad to see this topic. I have a dual boot with xp and have everything working. My only request now is to get the graphics working properly now. For the most part its ok, but video playback is copy at larger sizes and scrolling gets a bit choppy sometimes.

• 1 year later...

Anyone can tell how to change resolution on Dell 700 m machine?

I tried almost all Links on this Forum and 3582xxx but doesnt work for

please if anyone knows abt step by step instruction i really appriciate that.

Cheers

aussisweet@gmail.com

• 7 months later...
I have the 700 m installed on a seperate partition and am able to boot it. i have not gotten audio or wlan to work yet. What type of help do you need on the install part.

Hello,

I'm new to Apple. I got Leopard (Kaly 10.5.1) successfully installed but my computer keeps rebooting (over and over) at the Bios screen. It won't boot into Leopard. Did i leave anything out during the installation? Please help.

Thanks a bunch in advance

• 3 weeks later...
Hello,

I'm new to Apple. I got Leopard (Kaly 10.5.1) successfully installed but my computer keeps rebooting (over and over) at the Bios screen. It won't boot into Leopard. Did i leave anything out during the installation? Please help.

Thanks a bunch in advance

Yea, me too. I have a 700m with the 1.6GHz Centrino configuration, 60G,b 768Mb and Kalyway Leopard 10.5.1. I have tried all manner of configurations (bootloaders, SSE2 checked and not, sound driver checked and not) and am stilling getting this continuous reboot. The OS appears to be loading, then some stuff scrolls by (with -v) too fast to read - then it reboots and starts all over.

If this were linux, I'd say that my display drivers are hosed/not there. I noticed that the installer uses vesa (the default in ubuntu). Any help to the reboot problem on a 700m?

Thanks.