No DVD drive

Larry Lamonte

3 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I'd like to install OS X onto a desktop with no DVD drive (just a CD-ROM). As far as I know, everything should be supported (other than the need for a DVD drive). I'm wondering: if I take out the hard drive, put it in a Firewire enclosure, and attach it to my Macbook, is there a way I can install OS X from my Macbook's system restore CDs, patch the kernel, and put the hard drive back in my desktop and boot it? What pitfalls would I have to watch out for as far as patching and GUID/MBR partitions?

Thanks,

Larry

That's quite difficult. I'd suggest buying a DVD drive and an external USB enclosure. There were some problems with OSX86 and USB enclosures, but that may have been only booting from external HDs. You may be making things extremely complex by avoiding a 30$ purchase of a useful tool. Your idea of patching an OS X installation seems very difficult, unless it would just be swapping the kernel out.

Another option would be to install into a virtual machine using your macbook, and then mirroring the files on the virtual machine's "hard drive" onto that firewire enclosured HD. Search "deadmoo" for information on tricks like that.